Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cam Templates User Interface

Cam Templates User Interface

All,

Would like to submit an idea for a better User Interface for Cam templates. First I want to say that Cam Templates are great !!!... However with that being said "How to Store, Manage and Retrieve them"  needs some improvement. Below is a picture of how this

possible could be done. Hopefully the "picture and text" will give you a good idea of how it could work.

The "Circled Numbers" show the steps that the user would take to "Import"  Template(s)  they want to use.

The  "Circled Letters"  are brief description/notes to what needs to happen. 

Also it would be great if we could also do minor editing.  At least, Renaming Templates, Deleting Templates from the interface.

Cam Template.jpg

21 Comments

We need CAM Template Folders. My list is so big I cant access many of them. I would like to be able to put them in folders by materials since I work with several diffrent materials often. 

I have tried to add folders to my online drive but it doesnt seem to work. 

al.whatmough
Alumni

This is something that needs to be worked on. 

However, the first step is moving cloud libraries from A360 Drive into a Library Project.

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

I would prefer to seem something a little more robutst than folders.  I think more like a template browser/organizer of sorts.  Maybe the ability to add tags or descriptions.  Trying to rely on giving them a descrptive name becomes difficult as the names can get very long.

@al.whatmough What is a library project?

scottmoyse
Mentor
I think Al is referring to the projects you are used to seeing in Fusion. A360 Drive is disassociated from the A360 technology Fusion is built on. Its a completely different product. Quite confusing really.
scottmoyse
Mentor
Oh and I agree with Lonnie, Folders aren't good enough to solve the problem properly.
KonstruktionBuero
Enthusiast

Hello,

i want a toolbox ( symbols ) for the most used templates ( Thread M6 / M8 etc ) for faster use. Drag and drop from toolbox to operation list.

Greetings

Michael

Tags (1)
ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi Micheal, what CAM system? Fusion/HSMWorks/Inventor HSM?

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

This is a good idea. Simialar to a discussion that was had before about some sort of template browser.  Having a way to store/sort/filter would be much better than relying on trying to create a unique name for every template you were to make.  Also the names get very long trying to make them descriptive enough to say what they do.

KonstruktionBuero
Enthusiast

Hi,

im working with HSMWorks in Solidworks.

@looniecady  :  in HSMWorks its like a browser, but its to long to choose the different templates from the different places.

i made different directorys for the operations, Adaptiv, Thread, Contur, etc.  because the list of templates is very long and so you had to scroll in the menu. not efficent !

Toolbox like the boxes in SW for quick drag and drop. Thats it !!!!

Michael

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

@KonstruktionBuero

I understand what you are saying and I think me using the word Browser was probably not the best description.  I was not thinking of the current method as a browser.  I guess a better term to what I am talking about would be a template library.  

The current method of RMB the hunting thru a list that is sorted in to folders or very long descriptive names is not easy.

My only thought about a toolbox is it may work great for things like threads but a template can contain several operations.  In the SolidWorks toolbox you are still clicking thru folders to get to what you want.  You could then drag and drop it like you say. 

I think any folder structure adds some limitations to searching no matter how it is implemented.  I think a more powerful method is filtering and tags.  This way operations can  contain multiple descriptive terms and be sorted by each.

I think something needs to be done either way.  Just adding some thought to the conversation.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

I used to just have a blank job folder that contained a bunch of drill/tap combinations, worked fairly well.

vzagainov
Enthusiast

Probably implementing something more robust than folders will help indeed but implementing folders support for CAM templates is indeed good and solid first step in the right direction.

I have noticed that today Fusion is offering to store your tools in the cloud. And you may have a library of materials and appropriate tools stored in these material libraries. Good enough BUT it will only will help you to organize your CAM work combining

1) A tool

2) A material , i.e. speeds and feeds for that tool

In the real life you'll need to store _three_ components to really do a rapid CAM

1) A tool

2) Feeds and speeds, i.e. material

3) A CAM operation with all corresponding presets.

I have a workaround for that, but literally I'm just using my local network server to store all CAM templates in the right hierarchical order, i.e. I have folders like

Aluminum 6061

Aluminum 7075

Carbon fiber

and so on, these folders are representing 'material'

inside each folder I have subfolders like 'Tapping' 'Drilling' and so on

and then I have CAM templates stored under each folders mentioned.

That gives me the flexibility I want but I'm not able to use Fusion cloud, because Fusion is not able to read folders from A360 drive. That gives me only one hierarchical level for all my templates (and that's why idea author is running out of real estate on the screen, been there know that).

Again, as a workaround I'm running my own version of 'cloud server' with GIT to store all CAM templates I need. Thankfully Fusion allows me to select a CAM template from a local drive.

cheers.

keqingsong
Community Manager
macca5
Advocate

Being able to organise CAM Templates in custom folders would make having 10-20 or more templates easier to manage.

I have around 20 + templates and now it is becoming harder to organise, these custom folders could be created whenever you need one. A folder per type of machine, part, tool or operation.

Something like this:

template folders.jpg

Tags (4)

While this may not be the final solution to improving the Template management, it would be a step in the right direction

al.whatmough
Alumni

I would love to "accept" this idea as it is something we are deeply passionate about.  We actually want Templates to become "first class citizens".  As you use the product and build templates you should be using templates more often then the core tool paths as they capture your machining preferences and intelligence.

Sadly, For now, I need to mark this as "future Consideration" in full transparency that this isn't something we will get to this QTR or Next.

With that said, we are serious about this.  So, keep the votes and Ideas coming.

Cheers,

Al 

macca5
Advocate

This would be a major enhancement for fusion, template driven tool paths for each machine and cutter / material combination. 

It would push programming efficiency / consistency through the roof.

P

cj.abraham
Alumni

This is definitely on our radar. The solution is simple, but the way CAM assets are currently stored make the implementation tricky. 

Robert_Allport
Contributor

All,

Below is a work-around to some of the limitations of the Cam Template Asset folders. If you are looking for a way to "Save"

your Cam tool paths as Templates, and be able to "Edit", "Arrange", and "Group" them , basically the "Editing Features"  that the Cam Template Asset folder is lacking, then perhaps the below work around will work for you.....  

Basically ....

1). Started a “New Design” and Clicked the "Cam tab" from the drop down Menu, then created a set up (you can chose any machine type , it works for them all. I didn’t choose any “stock” size Just machine type.

2). Using the “Copy and Paste” function from any other “Opened Design with tool paths” to "paste Tool paths" into the "active set up"  of the "New Design File" or you can create them in the File itself (See Below for more info on that) and then “save” the file, I named it Tool path Templates, but you can call it anything its just an ordinary Fusion File. In essences the file becomes a "tool path" repository, a place to store tool paths with editing capabilities. See below for more.  

3). Now that the tool paths are saved in the "Tool path Template File" you can “Copy and Paste” them into any other open Design you want. I have been using this a lot and it has really sped up my programing. Its not perfect, but in my opinion “better” than the Assets folder or at least a good “addition” to it.

Below is the Screen Shot with a little more detail...

-Robert 

Toolpath Template File.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report