Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM: Setup -> Machining Time- ADD TIME FOR EACH OPERATION

CAM: Setup -> Machining Time- ADD TIME FOR EACH OPERATION

I propose that right-clicking on a Setup and clicking "Machining Time" should show not ONLY the total machining time for all operations within the setup (as it does now) but ALSO a list with EACH operation and its respective machining time!

Why?

1) When editing operations to reduce cycle time, OFTEN there is the most to gain in the longest operation. 

2) If you want to understand why a Setup Machining time is so long, this feature will QUICKLY show you which operations are taking the majority.

3) If you have a S&F typo (e.g. accidentally drilling at 0.2 IPM instead of 20 IPM) it's a quick way to sanity check WHY you drill operation is taking 47 minutes instead of ~1 minute).

4) We often receive CAM files from customers who want help optimizing their CAM strategies - this would help me understand, similar to #1 and #2 above, what's taking the longest

5) I believe (at the risk of being presumptuous) that this feature should be easy to implement!

13 Comments
eqdesignllc
Explorer

I'll add a further improvement along these lines - There is currently the option to show various data in the tree for each setup and step.  I'd imagine it would be super useful to have the machining time displayed next to each step, folder and setup once the toolpath is done computing.

prefs.pngtree.png

al.whatmough
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Marking this as "future consideration".  It is something that we should do.  Possibly in the first half of the year.  More likely in the second half.

To break it down, you are looking for a way to easily visualize the area of your NC program that has the most machining time so you know where to focus your efforts in optimizing a program.

Is this a correct summary?

NYC_CNC
Advocate

I would state summary as a way to visualize/list all CAM operations within a setup to view their individual time and their time with respect to the total operation time in order to troubleshoot (mistyped feedrate) and optimize a program.

philthalmann
Enthusiast

I certainly like the suggestion above about including the machining time in the tree next to each operation!

Steinwerks
Mentor

@Steinwerks sometimes life can be so easy Smiley Wink

I would also like to say that it is nice to have it in another window then your programmed part. Because that way you can easily check if that time does fit for the type of operation. I mean a 2D Contour can sometimes take 5 min and be correct. Sometimes that would be 10 times too long.

Not saying this is the ultimate solution just saying it's something I noticed when I started using it myself.

Steinwerks
Mentor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw I think the idea here is a good one. Just wanted to point out that there is a way to currently accomplish the same goal (if a little more time intensive and less integrated in this case).

@Steinwerks

Indeed I was just chiming in on the discussion here on the idea.

I would really want any feature for this to be in a separate window, which I can drag to the side and check the toolpaths while the window is open. Best would be a window that's always on top but you can still click the rest behind it. Which I think is hard but the best implementation fo it.

tbevins
Contributor

Glad I searched before I just fired away with the idea. Glad Saunders was reading my mind, thanks John, Steinworks, Everyone! I was hoping for a Machining Time Display in the tree, as usual, over and above! 

paradocs111
Participant

I love this idea! I often find I add too much clutter to the browser tree after I have renamed operations. I frequently have to shorten and lengthen the browser tree handle to see my component. So, how about adding a machining time" (MT) pop-up activated by holding shift and hovering over the individual operations? Also, Shift-hover over the Setup and have all operation's MTs pop up?

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

CAM-6594

al.whatmough
Community Manager

CJ - can you post an image of what the team is doing for this one.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This can now be turned on in your preferences. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report