Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM: Select Same Hole (allow exceptions)

CAM: Select Same Hole (allow exceptions)

Please add an option in "select same diameter" to UNCHECK or deselect certain holes!  We're running parts with hundreds of holes, but we need to exclude certain holes.  Short of changing CAD diameters to 'break' the select-same-diameter functionality, it's very time consuming.

12 Comments
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

keqingsong
Community Manager

Thanks for your idea! We have this captured in our backlog for prioritization. We'll keep you posted on our progress. 

porsbym
Autodesk

I can add a bit more background, as this is something we have already thought quite a bit about:

If the holes you want to exclude are of a different depth, we actually have an option in beta at the moment: "Only Same Depth". You should be able to try this option in beta mode.

Alternatively, you can split the body and only include the part(s) with the holes in question as the model.

We are trying to avoid having a specific "exclude selected holes" feature as that is not very associative and say you have 50 holes to drill and 50 holes to exclude it doesn't really help.

Options we are considering:

* "Machining Boundary" for drilling - this would allow you to draw a sketch around the holes you want.

* More filters like "Only Same Depth". This quickly becomes complicated though, and is also why we are keeping this in beta for now. We're trying to figure out if there is just a few options that would cover the majority of the use cases.

With that in mind, how are the holes you want to exclude different? If you had to come up with a rule for excluding them, what would that be.

/Mark

@porsbym Some times you really have 100 holes and want to exclude 2 because they are used for fixturing.

In that case selection the ones you don't want would be convenient.

oliff
Contributor

@porsbym This idea would help me often!  

It may be worth it's own idea station post, but I would really love to be able to derive a bore operation from a drill operation.   or at least have a select same diameter option within the Bore, Thread and Circular strategies. 

porsbym
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know that we're going to be working on this idea as soon as possible. We will add a boundary selection option that lets you "confine" the drilling to within a selected boundary (from a sketch/face/chain), similar to how Machining Boundaries work for 3D milling strategies.

This related idea covers some additional filtering options that may also be handy.

al.whatmough
Community Manager

Here is a quick video showing progress we are making:

mart.hough
Contributor

what about also having a simple list that you can select holes to exclude by clicking on them.. much like the touch / don't touch surfaces for 3d contour strategy. sometimes simply clicking on them might be quicker than defining a rule or boundary.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented
Captain-DJ
Collaborator

Don´t see anything like mart.hough say.

His idea with an list is an good way to deselect holes by myself.

I think we need both, filters like same level, same, diameter, same depth and an manually option.

kmilam
Enthusiast

Is this enhancement only limited to drilling?  I need the same in 2D/3D operations. 

porsbym
Autodesk

Yes, this for drilling.

If you post a new idea elaborating what you are looking for, we can consider that. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report