Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cam cut mesh models

cam cut mesh models

I know the cam side will curently only cut solids but it would be nice if it would cut mesh models or come up with a better way to tyexture a surface besides moving faces / verts . I wan to beable to make a model in fuson and have an organic texture on it . 

I don't want to have to make a model in fusion then export it to texture it and then use another cam software .

just a thought . 

10 Comments
jjurban55
Advisor

Hey Tony, I did find one way to do this, but as you're used to it takes a little work.  I use this great Fusion script to change image into bump map, and use that converted to Brep as the texture.  Here's an example of a wood grain image I converted:

texture.jpg

Let me know if you try this and run into any trouble.

Jesse

tony978
Advocate

Hi jesse , 

rhino works alot quicker for heightfield from image to a surface , most of the time the surface imports corectly and is machinable with out having to convert to a brep witch takes alot of time if it don't crash . 

tony 

jjurban55
Advisor

I forgot to post the link to the script https://github.com/hanskellner/Fusion360Image2Surface

That sounds interesting Tony, my guess is you're importing into Fusion as a Tspline control mesh or something like that? 

I found for most textures, don't need more than 10,000 faces, and the machining process removes any semblance of polygonal faces.  But it would be amazing to have some way to generate textures built right into Fusion. 

Jesse

tony978
Advocate

yes I am importing a surface not anything to do with t-splines and yes I blow way past the 10,000 limit when I work with 3d models . 

Tony 

jjurban55
Advisor

Hmm, I'm confused then how you can perform CAM operations in Fusion on a surface if it is not converted to Brep?  What is the file format of the surface you are importing?

Thanks!

Jesse

tony978
Advocate

solids and surfaces are machinable , mesh's are not in fusion . surfaces are what solid faces sort of .  rhino file 3dm . 

jjurban55
Advisor

Ah cool, I see 3dm format is already a NURBS I guess it's called, or basically a Brep already.

Thanks!

Jesse

tony978
Advocate

a brep and a surface are not the same in rhino 3d / grasshoper ... google the two together and see what can be done . 

Tony 

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

We are planning on adding support for mesh bodies in a mesh envoirnment.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report