Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAM - Add Workpiece Material choices "Wood" and "Hard Wood" to the Select Tool

CAM - Add Workpiece Material choices "Wood" and "Hard Wood" to the Select Tool

Different setting apply for cutting in wood and hardwood than the available Material choices in the CAM "Select Tool". Adding wood as an option would be very helpfull to seperate wood tool settings from other materials.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 16-03-19 (w11) 01.04.13.png

8 Comments
tshilling
Participant

I would have to completely aggree with you.  However, I would add that I work in wood, plastic, foam and metal, often one after another.  I find the whole tool library to be limited and not very friendly to my CNC router use and actually much prefer the setup in Vectric products.  I'll often use the same bit for different materials and I currently have to keep an excel sheet of the setting I use for each.  Then, when I want to cut, I have to manually edit the tool settings in the operation dialog.  Perhaps, instead of giving us a predefined list of materials, we could create "User" materials, to allow for customization for our own unique uses.

wh6Q9NU
Advocate

I agree with you that simple adding two materials doesn't solve the problem of all missing materials. Linking however user defined tool parameters to various materials (user defined or not) would save users a lot of spreadsheet administration and worse, possible cutting errors. Maybe the Fusion 360 team can have a look at the Vetric products might they want to improve the whole tool library?

Guys,

Problem is the library just isn't finished yet.

It should work better somewhere in the future.

desmondnaranjo
Explorer

@Laurens-3DTechDraw, very little about Fusion 360 is finished, this voting and commenting system is explicity for identifying which deficiencies are the most problematic.

@desmondnaranjo

I understand what you are trying to say here but what is being requested here would be an extension for the Tool library that is being developped for the Autodesk CAM solutions as whole. This library was already in development before fusion was even availble so a request to finish that could put that higher on the priority list possible but I very much doubt it. (And I can say I have very short lines to the developers and Product manager Al Whatmough)

So while I get the question adding wood to the library now is quite useless since the library doesn't care what the tool is for and doesn't change anything what it it's for.(A material can't even be assigned to a tool or vice versa so adding new ones truly doesn't bring anything)

wh6Q9NU
Advocate

Thanks for all the comments. And yes I'm aware of the current limitation of the Tool Library but couldn't hold back asking for improvements anyway 😉

I hope you get time and resources to do some great coding for the Tool Library. I'll be the first to check updates for new funtionality 🙂

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

As @Laurens-3DTechDraw rightly points out.  This is the dirrection the tool library is going in.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report