Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring Back the Edit Feature Ability

Bring Back the Edit Feature Ability

You used to be able to edit a feature like an extrusion.  Now you can no longer do that.  What is this SketchUp?  What is the point of having a parametric modeler if you cant edit the features?!

10 Comments
damincin
Advocate

Did your timeline somehow get turned off?  Is it still displayed across the bottom of the screen?  You should be able to right click and edit a feature such as an extrusion with no problem if you do.

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Perhaps you ar better off asking this in the regular forum. This is perfectly possibele and I do it all the time.

As the previous poster already commented, however, make sure timeline or history mode is turned on.

It usually is enebled by default unless you are working on imported geometry.

Did your timeline somehow get turned off?

This is a not so minor peeve of mine but why should it matter if you're in timeline mode or not ? I get that you can't edit history in direct modeling mode, but there are a ton of things that seem perfectly suitable for direct modeling yet mysteriously disappear when you're not using it.

Anything that can work in direct modeling mode should stay and anything that doesn't should still be there in the menus but disabled / greyed out with a nice tooltip to explain why it's unavailable if you hover over it.

nick.prsha
Enthusiast

Yeah, I no longer have a timeline after updates. I only have the browser
tree.
com

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager

Hey @nick.prsha - have you checked to make sure that your preferences are still set to allow the Timeline as default on new designs?

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 10.30.06 AM.png

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

nick.prsha
Enthusiast

Yes,

I have capture modeling history checked.  I find this particularly annoying when I have to create a part based on outside model (STEP IGES).  When I create a new component and save it I get no modeling history for any features.  I now have wound up with several parts that have no design history and even sketches that were used to create features are not linked to the feature itself and are uneditable through double clicking the feature,  I have to go back and direct edit them to create the changes I need.  Why is Fusion so much different than Inventor?  I used Inventor for years and was able to keep deisgn history on imported parts, granted only the edits that I did to them but nonetheless recorded.

damincin
Advocate

It seems to do this with imported models.  I noticed the same thing when I import DXF files.

You have to right click at the top of the browser and turn on "Capture Design History" there, not just within preferences.

The problem I have found is that you can never go back and edit whatever you imported as it becomes your "Base Feature."  So for instance I imported a DXF from a model I created in Geomagic.  Once I turn on capture design history I can no longer refine that sketch that was imported.  I've found a work around that works for a sketch, but if the same thing were to happen for a model I don't think it would work.  Though maybe IGES/STP work differently than imported sketches.

Dave

nick.prsha
Enthusiast

KUDOS to you sir, its stupid that you have to go select this manually, even when your prederences are set to capture design hisrtory, and from an obscure menu but thank you.

promm
Alumni

What @damincin posted is correct.  When you import a model Fusion puts you into Direct modeling mode and not parametric.  The reason for this is direct modeling allows you to edit models without having history, as the case with imported data.  If there is a hole that you do not want, simply select the hole and press delete or use press pull to change the size.  These are things that are painful to do in parametric modeling with imported data.  If you would like to parametrically edit the model turn on "capture design history".  The reason why @nick.prsha you do have this option in Inventor is due to the fact that Inventor does not have the ability to do direct modeling.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report