Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back Move to face

Bring back Move to face

After the latest update the move function in fusion 360 does not support Move to a face anymore. How should I assemble anything now? Only workarrount that works sometimes is to move from point to point and move a known length in the direction I need my part.

5 Comments
wilwyn
Contributor

This is surely a bug in the implementation of the new Move modes.  It must be corrected to enable accurate alignment and assembly as a priority.

When working, the current "snap to" functionality only allows a face or plane perpendicular to the selected Move direction to be chosen.  An enhancement would allow a perpendicular edge, a tangential point/plane or a vertex to be chosen as well, as the current feature only helps with arrangement of orthogonal components. 

jakefowler
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

This was a unexpected issue introduced with the recent Move tool update - we're aiming to fix this as soon as we can!

wilwyn
Contributor

Great - I hope the fix comes soon as I have given up on a couple of modelling projects for the time being while F360 is in its current state!

Please also consider the other enhancements to the "snap to" functionality I have mentioned above for this or future updates as they would greatly increase the power of the command.  

master-1992
Explorer

Is this still considered to be fixed? This remains a big Problem in using Fusion 360. Many updates came in the last month and a half but none of them fixed the Problem.

Does anyone know a workarround for that?

I feel a bit stupid. For me this is a major issue I even considered to change for a different CAD software. This now got 10 Kudos. So it can't be a big problem I guess? Am I missing something?

wilwyn
Contributor

The most recent updates has nearly restored the "expected" behaviour of the Move command, however I think it can still be improved to make it easier to use.  When performing a move, the user still gets too many "select ungrounded components to move" prompt when actually trying to select a snap (or even when just hovering over the move axis arrows, which is NOT what the selection of the axis grips is about - very misleading).  It seems that the command is always trying to include more entities in the selection, rather than focussing on moving the already selected entities.  For convenience I think the command should be more "modal" in its behaviour, and adding entities once a move direction is clicked should be invoked by a user action such as holding down the Control Key, or re-clicking the Selection button on the Move dialog to switch back to selection mode.

The work-around for the current version is to select the entities, then select the move direction on the pivot. THEN actually drag the pivot in the selected direction a little - once the move has commenced, clicking on a perpendicular face will snap to that move distance, and hovering over faces will display the snap distance.  

The above is workable, but the command still behaves unexpectedly if the user selects a snap distance (resulting in a move) and then continues in the same command by trying to drag the component along the same direction (forwards or backwards). In this case, the command reverts to trying to select more entities and will not allow another snap distance to be picked along that axis. To continue, the user has to select a different axis for the move and move the component (potentially in an unwanted direction) before reverting to moving in the intended direction.  Far from intuitive.

All up, an improvement but this should not be closed out yet.  I think my suggestions for improvement in an earlier post are also worth consideration too...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report