Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking Edges on Render Only

Breaking Edges on Render Only

When rendering, two coplanar surfaces that joined by an edge appear to be one surface. Visualization is key to what I do on a daily basis and I love not having to use another app to make appealing renders of what I'm working on,

That said, I very often find myself applying tiny fillets and chamfers to all sorts of things so it's clear to the client where two panels meet or what have you.

Modo, a 3D app near and dear to me added a feature a few releases back where you could break hard edges in renders without changing your geometry.

This would be extremely helpful in Fusion for three main reasons (apart from the obviously already stated): 1 - reduces features a ton where a lot of components are involved. 2 - dimensioning things in drawings that have a tone of 1/64" fillets on them is a PitA. 3 - CAM data with unwanted fillets is pointless and having to remember to suppress those features or not only leads to wasted time and more importantly human error.

11 Comments
lukepighetti
Advisor

Hi there,

When rendering a wood part, the hard 90* edges dont look right. But I'm not about to add a hundred 0.05" fillets to every single edge (unless there's a quick way to do this!)

It would be awesome if there was an option to "break all edges" when rendering.

Tags (1)
cekuhnen
Mentor

most render engines have a material based edge fillets tool - but those often then apply to all edges.

with furniture work in Fusion I just at the end select all objects at once in the timeline and add the edge fillet.

for highlights thats perfect

lukepighetti
Advisor

Hi cekuhnen,

Have you found a quick way to add fillets to all edges? I'm at a loss.

Thanks

Luke

cekuhnen
Mentor

so in timeline mode,

draw over all your bodies (stichted together obviously)

then then select the solid fillet tool.

this will add one fillet entry but apply it to all object edges you selected at once!

lukepighetti
Advisor

Hi cekuhnen,

I still can't manage to get this to work. Any tips? I appreciate it.

Thanks

Luke

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/965d4180-95a4-4138-9f5e-ff503138f8d8

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Related to this: 

Wood grain tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-RRZhDrOg

And this: 

How To Use the Max Fillet Script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVfYJMxsPQ

O.Tan
Advisor

Basically what you wanted is for all edges to have small fillets and that's true as in real life, all edges tend to be deburred hence it's not perfectly square. I believe someone posted about it before so perhaps it's in the pipeline?

Anyways, a kudos from me!

cekuhnen
Mentor

@O.Tan While that is true for rendering or presentation purpose this is sometimes not yet needed or adds extra work.

I think what he basically means is an auto smooth function where you can enter an edge degree value at which the shade smooth

will switch to shade flat the edge so it is sharp. Blender has two functions for this. One for just shading and the other actually really splits the mesh along sharp edges.

Actually all render engines I ever worked with sofar since years have this sharp edge shading setting. Fusion does not?

wyattm
Enthusiast

No, O. Tan had it right. The edges are plenty sharp. Too sharp to be realistic where panels meet, etc.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@wyattm Ok so then what you are looking for is not a break edge option but in render time fillet an edge - two very different things!

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We have this in our backlog for rendering. Release date TBD.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report