Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean subtraction with option to create offset for tolerance fit.

Boolean subtraction with option to create offset for tolerance fit.

I often create multiple components that nest into one another where 'fit' tolerance is critical. It would be wonderful if there was a workflow where after creating a component, the combine tool would allow for the option of creating an offset of the tool. That way the cut operation when keeping both the tool and the target body would allow for tolerance between the two in a uniform way.  

Thanks,

_C

27 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

Fantastic idea!

michallach81
Advisor

like in Onshape? Nice idea.

odolyte
Advocate

This would be very helpful for 3D printed parts. As printers have 0.1 to 0.2 mm precisions, we always need to make holes slightly bigger than the part that needs to fit in otherwise you'll need... sandpaper 😉

lukepighetti
Advisor

I'm into this!

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Good idea, adding to the backlog for modeling. Release date tbd.

koop_g
Explorer

can I add one more option to this idea?

I am trying to make an foam insert for my travel case.

I have models ( constructed from my gear that shuld be inside the case )
and I have my foam model.

the thing is combining ( cut method ) the way I want is imposible for complex model.

explantion:

when I want to insert a complex object and silde it in to the foam I need the cut to go throw the face till the point i need it leaving a 

trail path to the object to go throw.

I might be missing the way to do that, how ever if there were a way it shuld be more user frindly option wating for me there.

your idea for offset cut is the second need for this job.

I really hope I can have a solution for my problem.

p.s 

if you have any idea for me till it would be poping in the next Version pelase share.

sorry for my bad english

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this request basically what the "Indent" feature is in Solidworks? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4rTAxRFgLw

Has this functionality been added elsewhere in Fusion, or is it still in the works?

I 3d print a lot of prototypes where I need the parts to fit tightly, or loosely as desired. If the function is not available in Fusion yet, having a boolean command without a way to control the fitment tolerance is unfortunately not really useful other than for renderings for me. 

EGonchar
Enthusiast

Absolutly a must for Modeling for 3d Printing, something like a rule fillet vs regular fillet.

A good set of options would be, tolerance on body and tool, or tool or body

The second option would be: the ability to (Scale) to all 3axies as well as XY plane, YZ plane, XZ plane, so when designing for future 3d printing process, could allow this kind of tollerances only in the plane which matters for two parts to fit together

xrok11
Contributor

A must have for 3dPrinting, machining....

mdw8189
Contributor

I was just about to make this exact request for a new feature

michael
Explorer

Anything on this yet. This feature is a must.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do anyone now if this awesome idea is already available? Putting offset numbers in the Combine tool?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please include this feature.

smcarty
Participant

Is this feature still unavailable or am I just not having luck figuring out how to create tolerances between two bodies when I model/modify/combine/cut one body with another?

(I've just been creating and editing a dimensions of a copy of cutting body so far but I keep looking for ways to simply the process of creating tolerance for objects that must be physically assembled after 3d printing.)

scruff.r
Contributor

Yup, I have searched for this too, but couldn't find this implemented yet.

Or what would be an alternative to achieve the same thing?

roachslayer
Contributor

Hows that backlog going, @colin.smith@schneik-adsk?  Every 3d print project with interlocking/fitted part, ever, needs this feature.

tomeriksen
Observer

+1

leo.jofeh
Contributor

Yes please - super useful.

ejkitchen
Participant

I have the exact same problem. Would be nice to have global parameters for offsets so you can say offset these components with these tolerances.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report