Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block in a sketch

Block in a sketch

The other thread on grouping objects in a sketch had been archived. Why was the request archived (the reason did not seem logical)? In SolidWorks objects may be grouped together into a block. In Autocad items may be grouped into a block. Until a block function is added to Fusion I have been exporting 2D geo to AutoCAD LT editing it and re-inserting it into Fusion. Please add a block option to move objects together in the sketch portion of Fusion. 

20 Comments
tima123d
Advocate

In SolidWorks, you can create a "Block" that is a fixed selection of sketch elements that you can just rubberstamp around as you please, drag to new places without worrying about accidentally selecting individual elements, etc. It also allows you to edit the block instance and all other blocks update. You can save blocks independently of the design. And, of course, you can "Explode" the block to once again edit individual parts. It's very handy.

Tags (6)
cekuhnen
Mentor

I could have made use of blocks a lot in some furniture projects.

Matthew_Curran
Advocate

Selection Sets is a feature in Fusion that is similar to what you are talking about. Maybe Fusion just needs some improvements for Selection Sets and not a whole new tool. 

torrance.96
Explorer

The selection sets feature is kind of like blocks but not quite.  It's similar in that you can copy a group of sketch elements multiple times, and even copy them to other sketches but each copy is independent of each other.  If you make changes to one set it doesn't reflect on the others.  The Blocks and specially Edit Blocks in SW would be great additions.

paulblamb
Community Visitor

I finished an detailed sketch and want to "block" the sketch and reuse the work i already did. I would like to be able to scale it up-or down as needed and make new extrude/cuts in other parts. 

really like fusion overall thanks for listening

ToddHarris7556
Collaborator

+1 for sketch blocks, please 🙂

One specific application would be in woodworking - the use of premade trim profiles. 

It would be VERY useful to be able to insert a profile, and extrude out to a custom length, without having to recreate the sketch each time.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thanks for the submission! This will end up in a larger strategy of better handling large and complex sketches that we're working on. We're not sure if we can get something like this short term, but will be part of our long term plans for better sketching. We'll keep you posted on our progress. 

JYZMT
Advocate

Also need this!

But in the mean time, I've found a bit of a work around. Its not ideal, but its just about working form me, I guess it depends on the nature of the sketch, and what you need it to do.

- I made the sketch (in my case an engraved locating symbol)

- I extruded it and made a component (I called it a widget).

- I placed the widget around the model, placing it on each face using a joint (and in my case aligning it between faces).

- I then made a new sketch for each face, and projected the lines through into to the new sketch from multiple instances of the widget.

So, when I change the original widget, so it updates in each of the projected instances.

And if I change the model, the placement of the widgets changes with it, because it a joint.

Make sense? Basically turn you sketch into a component, then project it back into a sketch from that component...

tima123d
Advocate

@JYZMT That is an interesting idea. I do wonder if changing the original sketch would break the projections tho. I suppose I'll have to try it and find out! 

If it works, it is a nice workaround, but I'd still like to see some proper support for groups in sketches. Also, it would be lovely if sketches were optimized so that they would not be so ungodly slow when you get a large number of elements and relations in them.

JYZMT
Advocate

It does, I just tried it. But it can respond in ways that are unexpected. Unexpected to me at least. 

If the geometry in the widget is transformed, this pushes through to all the instances where the new sketch geometry is a direct projection from the widget.

But where I made a pattern of the projected geometry (pattern within the sketch) it only updated the first projection? So I'm guessing the way around this, is to make a pattern of the component (through create), and then ensure that all the "blocks" are projected direct from the widget. Selection sets help here, because they can be used to bring in projected geometry, albeit one line at a time, see this discussion:  

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/selection-set-to-project-geometry-into-ske...

If the geometry you want from the widget is in a selection set, it does bring it through slowly.

Also if you delete lines from the original widget sketch, these then go yellow in the direct projections. I don't know if this means they are still there or if its telling me they are missing.

New geometry in the widget sketch does not carry through, because its only projecting what you have already told it to project.... (but this is to be expected with this method)

So its only really a work around for limited geometry updates

Yes, It would be very useful to have proper block support. For lots of purposes.

It feels this would only be a short step to be able to label parts dynamically. i.e. if the block had a text string in it which displayed the name, or the name of the component, or similar, then I cold give parts an engraved code based on their name. That would be nice.

cheers 

iderryan
Participant

Yes please. I'd settle for the ability to make a group entity before blocks, but I don't see a reason this can't happen from the company that invented blocks. How has this not made it into the program?

sales
Enthusiast

Yes, this is a common feature of any layout/design program. I do it in photoshop as well. You can group bodies, but often I do a lot of layout in sketch mode before creating bodies and re-selecting the same group of objects again and again gets tedious very quickly.

shdwlynx
Explorer

As Matthew Curran already noted above, Selection Sets is at least a partial solution.  While it doesn't allow all the functionality in Solid Works or Adobe Illustrator (or PhotoShop), Selection Sets are effectively a crude form of "grouping" sketch elements (or anything else).

To use Selection Sets

1. Select the elements (shapes, segments, points, etc.) you want to add to a Selection Set - use Shift to select more than one
  2. Right-Click and choose Create Selection Set
  3. Double-Click the newly created Selection Set in the browser tree and rename it something sane
  4. Now you can select those elements again any time you want by clicking the little Select icon at the right side of the named Selection Set in the browser tree

One upside of not having them in actual groups is that you can create multiple Selection Sets involving the same elements, kind of like tagging vs. grouping e-mails.

One downside (or upside, depending on how you look at it) is that all the Selection Sets are under the Selection Sets node in the browser tree.  There is no way to keep them under the sketch itself, for example.  This can get very messy very fast.

alexey.oleynick
Observer

+1 for that feature. My usecase:

I use parameters in sketches as well as some imported dxf graphics(logos, texts, etc.) For example, a logo should be in the middle/top/left/wherever of a rectangle inside a sketch. If I change dimensions of the rectangle I should always reposition my logo manually. So it would be great to group all of the points from logo and set dimensions to bounding box. Bounding box could have 9 reference points: corners, side midpoints and center.

By the way, idea with bounding box could be extended to have ability to change dimensions with auto scaling of its contents

danXHXPU
Observer

I have hole patterns that I routinely use for panel cutouts. In SW, I used to keep a library of them and could copy the saved sketch blocks into a new design as required. I would propose to add this save ability to the general request for sketch blocks.

JYZMT
Advocate

yep, that would be great. With a insertion point defined, then just drag them into a sketch from the library, and click the insertion and rotation needed

jean-philippeLPRNV
Community Visitor

+1 on sketch blocks for complex repeated patterns

andromeda.star
Enthusiast

Yes, exactly what I've been trying to find, must be simple to do and mega useful.

dave3PGN8
Enthusiast

In a sketch, how would you align, say, the top of one complex shape with the top of another, *different* complex shape? I think you'd need sketch grouping or sketch blocks. We need this feature, please.

(In answer to my own question, I suppose you could measure the distance between a line comprising the "top" of both shapes and then select one of the shapes and move it by this amount. But grouping would make this so much easier...)

martinjo42
Explorer

Please, please, please add grouping of sketch lines and objects. This feature would save days, whole days, worth of time. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report