Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Thread Mill Tool Geometry

Better Thread Mill Tool Geometry

1. If I'm setting up the tool correctly, the first line is called "Diameter" but I think it should be more specifically labeled as "Cut Diameter". Yes I see it says "Cutting Edge" right above it.

2. The tool's Neck Diameter appears to be automatically scaled based on some calculation using the "Diameter" value. This has caused some confusion for me when setting up a tool, and when I simulate the cut I tend to get interference (red) which makes me nervous. I've worked around it though. You'll see in the image below that the cutting geometry is tiny, and disproportionate to the Neck Diameter of the tool I'm holding in my hand.

My tool is the TM8 at: http://www.abtoolsinc.com/pdf/Solid-carbide_Thread_Mills_and_Chamfer_Cutters-AB_Tools_Inc.pdf

I would like to have the ability to specify the Neck Diameter and the Cut Diameter separately. And while we're at it....

3. I would like to be able to specify the "Crest" too (see above link).

TM8.png

2 Comments
russtuff
Advocate
Now I'm not sure I have this right (mostly because I don't think the labels are clear). In my model, my holes are the minor diameter. I assume that should be the correct way to model a hole to be threaded.
The "Diameter" at the top of of the tool settings is either the Cut Diameter or the Neck Diameter. I'm not sure and don't want to break tools testing it out.
cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Use these settings in the pictures. We will make incremental updates to the thread mill tool definition, but this will work. The key here is to use the Shaft definition settings to create segments for the tool shaft.thread mill 1.pngthread mill 2png.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report