Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror in sketch from axes

Mirror in sketch from axes

Very often I want to mirror something in a sketch off of the center line based on the global origin / axes. 

Currently I have to add an extra stray line to the sketch.

Instead, we should just be able to use the origin axes (preferably without having to select and show them)

22 Comments
TrippyLighting
Consultant

This has my vote and I am linking to a similar idea that was archived due to lack of votes:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/improve-mirroring-patterns/idi-p/4937...

Even if you need an arbitrary line to mirror about when an axis is not suitable this would allow you to draw that line with the mirroring dialog open and would not "pollute" the sketch with additional objects, which is someting direly needed 😉

I wish I could up vote the archived idea (if I didn't already up vote it; I almost want to make 10 fake accounts to tip the no-brainers over the threshold).
TrippyLighting
Consultant

Maybe I could set up two Fusion accounts for my Kids (9 and 14 ) to increase voting power 😉

Just kidding.

Ndenekamp
Advocate

Definitly has my vote too!

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Adding to sketch improvements list. 

MoonshineSG
Enthusiast

The origin and 3 axes should be allowed to be used in constrains, mirroring and other operations as any other line or point in the sketch. 

Tags (4)
_ritchie
Contributor

Whoa, I'm amazed this is missing. Isn't this a CAD 101 feature?

hammerquill
Participant

It drives me nuts that this is not available. I still can't believe it, since I need it literally every time I use the program.

Yeah the same for me @hammerquill

What's truly maddening about it is that it seems almost completely trivial to implement yet it seems that it's never going to happen

DrNefarius
Contributor

Would be most useful, and is very hard to get your head around that axis cannot be used, would even say that for 2d sketches, the intersection of any plane with the current plane should also be useful. actually any straight element one could think of should be a possible input.

Also support the idea of drawing an axis when in the dialogue box.

@DrNefarius I have at least a dozen or so no-brainer / relatively quick and easy things like this that are years old and seem to have been completely ignored / forgotten 😕

rohit.bapat
Autodesk

Hello All,

We have added the enhancement in the sketch in March release, where you will be able to select the World Axes (any axis or any other line in other sketches as well) as mirror line.

Please give it a try and let us know if you have any queries.

Thank you,

Best Regards

Rohit Bapat

(Product Owner, Fusion 360)

Awesome / finally / thanks / will do
marcorev
Explorer

Hi @rohit.bapat 

I cannot find a way to use the new mirror functions.

I have a square on a sketch, I want to mirror it using a line I have on another sketch. My understanding from your message is that now I should be able to do it, but I cannot figure out how. Mirror is activated only when I am editing a sketch but everything else is hidden so I cannot select the curve that I want as axis of symmetry.

What I am doing wrong?

thanks

Marco

EDIT:

Never mind I figure it out. You can use only curves that have been drawn on sketch that precede in the timeline the one you want to mirror. So if you draw a first sketch with a square and then a second sketch with the line to act as axis you need to move the sketch with the line before the one with the square in the timeline, doing so you will be able to select the line as centre of symmetry. It works but it is a bit cumbersome. 

thanks

Marco

hammerquill
Participant

@rohit.bapat I was thrilled to get a notification of your post here saying this was finally working. However, like @marcorev, I have tried to use this and found no way to do so. Specifically, when I try to select one of the axes as a mirror line within a sketch, it does not let me. Is this actually live yet?

marcorev
Explorer

Hi @hammerquill 

please read the edit to my previous post. It works but it is not ideal

hammerquill
Participant

@marcorev @rohit.bapat I'm trying to use the world axes, which should work no matter where you are in the timeline, but they seem still to be non-selectable.

marcorev
Explorer

@hammerquill 

It works for me, make sure you have the latest version and that the light bulb for Origin is on. Generally it is off and you cannot select the axis

hammerquill
Participant

I always have it on, and it is currently on, or I wouldn't be able to see the axis, so I wouldn't know it was unable to select it. There is a banner at the top of my screen saying I'm all set with the latest update.

I can now select the world axes IF they are in the plane of the sketch. I'm not sure if that was possible before.

But the entire point is I need to be able to select the world axes when they are NOT in the plane of the sketch. Technically, this is mirroring on one of the world axis planes, but from the point of view of a sketch, it is using the axis. It seems to be good about tacitly and automatically importing lines from other parallel planes to use as mirror axes - this is great, and I think it's new - but the single most important line to be able to import is the world axis, and I can't get it to do that at all. The Origin and world axes are universally important to most designs, and should be accessible anywhere.

marcorev
Explorer

Yes, I see what you mean, you are correct you can only select the axis on the sketch plane. 

Also I noticed that if you have allow 3d sketches and you move a line off the plane where was originally drawn you cannot select it anymore for the mirror function

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report