Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analysis/Section View enabled in CAM

Analysis/Section View enabled in CAM

I can do this in InventorHSM.

Having a section view of a part in CAM allows me to select internal features on turned parts much easier, especially when you have a narrow  groove inside a small ID. (We make fairly small parts).

41 Comments
Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

This really needs to be done.  It is very difficult to select internal lathe features.

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

We beleive this should work the same was a "slice" when in a Sketch.   Do you agree?

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

@al.whatmough I had never used the slice before now but after trying it out it works very well.   If you implemented it like the slice command I assume it would be specific to turning operations?   So where would the slice option be?  would it be in the operation dialog?  I assume it would slice in accordance with the x axis from the setup WCS?

One thing comes to mind as a possible concern is how works with  spun body.  Since you would really be slicing the body and not the spun body.  Since the spun body has no selectabe features, almost like it does not exist some of your geometry will be missing and not accuratly represented as it would if you slice the spun body.

I am not sure how to explain it in words very well.

mfeathers
Advocate

I made the suggestion specifically based on what I could do in Inventor. If I have a section analysis and enter CAM, that analysis remains active. That's pretty much all I was askng here. It just makes it easier for selecting surfaces and edges. I've since, been using the click-hold and selecting from the popup... it's slower. The analysis view was also very handy for seeing the inside of the part when doing the CAM sim.

I can't even find slice in sketch mode.

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

it slices back to the sketch plane/face

Capture.PNG

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

@al.whatmough any progress being made on this one?  

Maybe someone on the cam team could make a quick video on some tricks to select internal features in small parts that are fairly deep into the bore.

NYC_CNC
Advocate

We are doing "advanced" CAM toolpaths for a mold.  It would be very helpful to use the Section Analysis tool while in the CAM environment to more easily view and fine-tune 3D toolpaths.

Tags (2)
Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

This idea was previously asked for and accepted.  So hopefully it gets in there before too long.  It is really needed for turning operations also along with toolpath occlusion.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/analysis-section-view-enabled-in-cam/...

Marek_B
Advocate

It is not only needed in turning operations but milling as well, when there are deep ports with details you cannot see what is inside

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

As always, we have started with a first approach that solves the solution in an automated way.  If this works, it sill minimize the toggling.

In this case, that model becomes transparent and the cross section is highlighted when working on turning operations.

Thoughts?

Pasted image at 2017_06_22 09_40.pngPasted image at 2017_06_22 09_40.png

mfeathers
Advocate

This doesn't seem that different from what I do now. I usually am in wireframe mode when viewing toolpaths. It doesn't do anything to fix what I originally was posting about. Wireframe makes it harder to determine model orientation and surfaces for selection. As I remember the cross section view in Inventor, it allowed you to very easily select both inner and outer surfaces of objects including ID grooves (it was also beautiful for simulation). I'd have to try it but from the pictures, I can't really see this making things any easier.

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

@mfeathers Agreed, not sure how that will help with internal geometry selection.  That may help with toolpath viewing. 

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

@mfeathers @al.whatmough @Marek_B @NYC_CNC

I think marking this implemented is a little bit of a stretch.  The original idea revolved around internal geometry selection in turning.  I think the feature added will be a great addition to viewing already created operations but does not address the "Idea" that was posted.  

mfeathers
Advocate

@Lonnie.Cady agreed.

tolmacs
Advocate

@al.whatmough 

I have the same problem when we use turning in Fusion. I also use wireframe mode, but I'ts not always satisfying.

The topic says this request has been implemented, but where can I turn section view on in CAM environment??

Thanks,

Zoltan

Marek_B
Advocate

As far as I know it is not possible, at least I do not know how to turn it on.

Marek

tolmacs
Advocate

Me neither. I'm waiting a response from Autodesk, but it seems to me that this idea should be changed back to 'gathering support' state.

Zoltan

Marek_B
Advocate

As it is mentioned above in this thread, some users use wireframe view mode to display toolpath and tool simulation on inside details.

In most cases it works for me as well but in some, more complicated models, wireframe mode is too cloudy when there is hundreds of lines it is hard to focus or find line or curve  which corresponds to detail you are interested in.  

I think this should be implemented in the Fusion.

Thanks

Marek

Lonnie.Cady
Advisor

@Marek_B

One thing I have done it the past is to go into the model workspace and split the body along the x axis of your cam setup or split the body and align the cam setup x axis to it.  Then in the setup make sure you select both bodies and spun profile will create the proper profile from both bodies.  You can then use the light bulb in the feature tree to turn the bodies off and as needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report