Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow sorting,grouping,folders in the Browser - Maybe in 2016?

Allow sorting,grouping,folders in the Browser - Maybe in 2016?

The more complex your design the more useless the browser gets to navigate and organice your objects. period.

While we have components that again makes only sense when you really are ready to consider components.

For designers in the conceptual phase that is just added extra work that is not always needed or ideal.

In my screenshot you can see that I have mesh, BREPS, and a folder with unstitched.

Users really should be able to sort the browser as they want like any other layer system allows!

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 10.39.53 AM.png

15 Comments
lokiidesigns
Advocate

I find it quite strange that the order in the browser does not follow the prescribed or more natural workflow i.e. Origin, Construction, Sketch, Body, Component. Why are Sketches placed after Bodies or Construction placed after Sketches when each relies on the latter one respectively? Also when I have to jump between the rather long lists of bodies and components in complex models (when surfing my timeline for minor improvements or clash detection) it makes it rather time consuming with a myriad number of sketches inbetween and does not make logical sense....at least to me.

I'd also love to see the ability to sort the items in the folders in the Browser so that it makes some sense, that isn't necessarily chronological or at least as it is currently dictated. I cannot group my components together into 'pseudo' assemblies in the browser for ease of navigation (i.e. it won't let me alter their position in the queue).

I think at a minimum the following abilities should be investigated:

• right click to select option to order items automatically i.e. within each folder group by time created/modified (High/Low), name (a->Z or Z->A), grouping, etc. This would be undertaken at each group folder i.e. components
  • ability to manually drag items up/down the hierarchy to order them into something that makes more sense to the user
  • options in the preferences dialogue to re-order the browser as you see fit - in my case I would love to see it follow a logical order i.e. Origin, Construction, Sketches, Bodies, Components, Joints

Love to see some auto naming functions too like adding a prefix to each component automatically in a selection or in total i.e. right click and set/confirm order gives Component "Gear:1" the prefix of "1. Gear:1" or "A. Gear:1" depending on your preference. That way your name changes won't affect the order if you apply a filter.

lokiidesigns
Advocate

@cekuhnen, Voted for this as it similar to an idea I requested previously, see below:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/browser-sorting-amp-interactivity/idi...

Hope this gets implemented and is fully realised!

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea.  We have browser folders in our backlog and since it has more votes we will be building browser folders first and this is why the idea is being changed to future consideration.  Once work gets started on this idea it will be changed to accepted.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Internal use browse/FUS-25379

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Quick update  - we are currently working on this and it is coming soon! We'll let you know once we have a closer release date. 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented
cekuhnen
Mentor

@keqingsong AMAZING ! LOVING IT!!!!

cekuhnen
Mentor

@keqingsong Yeah but this is a fantastic great start!!!

Scoox
Collaborator

It seems this is still half-baked. I don't understand why the browser didn't allow freely moving items from the start. We are not talking about the timeline here, it's a browser. And I also don't understand why moving anything in the Browser should be reflected in the timeline. It's absurd.

jeffTHXSB
Contributor

I see groups, but still no "sort by name"

What am i missing?

Scoox
Collaborator

Maybe by 'groups' what is meant is folders.

Regarding my previous post, when I posted that I had just started learning Fusion 360 and didn't fully understand how the browser worked. There are valid reasons why moving stuff in the browser needs to be reflected in the timeline, now I understand this. However, sorting has nothing to do with this, as it wouldn't affect the browser's structure. Hopefully the Autodesk wizards will give this feature suggestion the importance it deserves.

Folders (not the same as components) would also be very handy, mainly to keep complex assemblies manageable.

jeffTHXSB
Contributor

To clarify my comment: I concur with Scoox -- why we STILL cannot do an alphanumeric sort is a mystery. After browsing the boards, I fear that there are so many different threads about this missing feature that they are diluted (no single one has a plethora of votes) and so, it is not obvious to Autodesk that this is sorely needed.

Scoox
Collaborator

So it says "Implemented" but it's not really been implemented.

jeff
Collaborator

August of 2018, still no sort by name in browser?

jeffTHXSB
Contributor

A year later, still no sorting? What am I missing?
With everything else that has been added to Fusion, this is laughable. I know you can do better: we see it. Please: Alphanumeric sort in the browser.

krokocad
Participant

+1 Alphanumeric sort of sketches in the browser.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report