Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced UV texturing tools

Advanced UV texturing tools

Fusion needs advanced UV texturing tools so you can texture an object accurately.

Screen cast: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2SHBPUDJhZi1waVU/view

Currently this is what Fusion provides:

Faces are not stitched together into the correct flow,

The bend structure is textured with a planar image and thus does not show the bend flow

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 4.31.54 PM.png

It seems loft makes a trimmed planar face and does not loft (sweep 2 rails correctly and also forgets to produce the needed

UV coordinates)

When rebuilding the loft (sweep 2 rails) in MOI you get the correct UV mapping.

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 4.35.12 PM.png

For furniture design this is what you want to be able to produce via rendering:

Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 4.35.36 PM.png

32 Comments
TrippyLighting
Consultant

Yes, we've been asking for proper UV mapping for a long time now.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@TrippyLighting

Yeah I am not so sure about Rhino but when I was working with Maya I did the UV texturing there with the NURBS tools with CAD files created outside of it.

It is also a tricky task.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Adding this to the rendering backlog.  Release date TBD.

hutchij
Alumni

Great post! Thanks for taking the time to make the screencast. The correct UV parametrization of the nurbs surfaces is a work in progress. Per face UV manipulation - we will increase priority.  John

eric.strebel
Collaborator

OMG, This is a must have!!! this would be huge,.... well adding a light in the scene would be huge! but this is a really handy thing to have when texturing an object!

helsset
Participant

If this gets implemented, I wish the UV maps can be also exported.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This latest update includes some UV mapping tools: http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/march-1-2017-update-whats-new/

cekuhnen
Mentor

@keqingsong I beg to differ better UV mapping tools are not equal seeing a test UV. 

This is NOT implemented.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

cekuhnen
Mentor

@keqingsong

I just checked it.

not patch stitching

no texture bending

nothing really that improves UV texturing !!!

please don't make claims like implemented when nothing was implemented!

keqingsong
Community Manager

Sorry about that, but your original idea is not very clear at exactly what you're looking for. I interpreted the ask as something that will help you better align materials so that transitions are seamless. UV diagnostic texture helps you do that. 

cekuhnen
Mentor

@keqingsong

it quite cleary states it visually and with text:

Currently this is what Fusion provides:

Faces are not stitched together into the correct flow,

The bend structure is textured with a planar image and thus does not show the bend flow

Everybody that knows UV texturing understands it.

I do not want to sound critical but your reply really makes me wonder if you understand what UV texturing is about.

eric.strebel
Collaborator

@keqingsong

He did make it pretty clear and provided many samples of what he was looking for. Thanks though, for providing the update and think about us, hoping for the UV texture mapping soon. Will be very beneficial for making more realistic images.

Cheers!

keqingsong
Community Manager

Got it - apologies for the mis-understanding. When you're trying to manage thousands of ideas, it's way to easy to miss things. My bad.

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Thank you @keqingsong!

cekuhnen
Mentor

@keqingsong perfect and understood!

cekuhnen
Mentor

It seems loft makes a trimmed planar face and does not loft (sweep 2 rails correctly and also forgets to produce the needed

UV coordinates)

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 8.07.28 AM.png

In any NURBS modeler a sweep 2 rails surface like loft in Fusion will generate the correct UV mapping because it really is a sweep 2 rails surface.

Because the side surface is made correctly the UV coordinates are correct to bend the linear texture along the bend geometry

generating the material flow I want.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 8.10.55 AM.png

tom_eriksson
Contributor

Hope this feature is coming soon.

Working with a mobil game and use Fusion 360 for modelling. Maybe not the best choice but i want to try it.

I have seen the CAD and engineering world have more and more get closer to the high end designer program like Maya and 3D-max.

My workflow is now Fusion 360 / .Obj to Maya for UV map and then to Substance Painter. Finally to Unity5.

Im an old Cad Engineer and love to work with measurement when modelling and Fusion have an workflow I'm used to.

If i can remove some steps in my workflow i will save lot of time as an indie game developer on free time.

Can follow my progress: 

https://gallery.autodesk.com/fusion360/projects/wheelie

cekuhnen
Mentor

@tom_eriksson

to my understanding this is not coming any time soon.

jean-michel_legoff
Collaborator

is there any update about this Topic?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report