Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjustable Width/Length for Window Panels/Palettes - 4k Monitor Support

Adjustable Width/Length for Window Panels/Palettes - 4k Monitor Support

At some point in the summer, it seemed like Fusion did take a step forward for 4k monitor support, including the splash screen now showing a single image/tile where it used to tile the startup screen all across the monitor if memory serves. 

However, the biggest problem with Fusion on a Windows machine with a 4k monitor is that the browser panel and most of the small window panels that pop up for various functions are too narrow for the size of the font necessary to read text on a 4k monitor. It would be great if we could grab the side of the windows and stretch them to the appropriate width or length, and have Fusion remember the way each one is set up without having to repeat the process again later. There are some functions that I can't read at all as it sits right now. I've attached one of the easiest examples to access, but it applies to  many other panels as well. There are even times when it's hard to access a needed button, which as you can see was a close call on this window:

AnExample1.JPG

20 Comments

I AM A USER OF AUTOCAD, REVIT AND 3DS MAX {2016 VERSIONS)

AND I AM USING A QHD DISPLAY (3840 X 2160) AND ALL THE PRODUCTS ARE SHOWING PROBLEM :

1. FONT SIZE IS NOT AT ALL READABLE

2. POP UPS NOT VISIBLE

3. GUI FLICKERS 

AFTER READING ALL THE POST I FOUND THIS SAME PROBLEM IS FACED BY MAC RETINA DISPLAY USERS AND SOLUTION PROVIDED IS TO SCALE DOWN TO 150% OR DEGRADE TO FHD(1920 X 1080) RESOLUTIONS AND EVEN IN THAT SCALING TO 125% CREATES PROBLEM AND DO NOT SOLVE ALL THE ISSUES, ALSO WHICH RESULTS IN LOW QUALITY GUI AND ACCORDING TO DISPLAY SETTINGS 250% IS RECOMMENDED FOR QHD RESOLUTIONS AND 125% FOR FHD BUT UNFORTUNATELY AUTODESK PRODUCTS DO NOT SUPPORT SCALING UP

I JUST WANT THE AUTODESK COMMUNITY TO LOOK AFTER THIS ISSUE AND DEVELOP A SOFTWARE WHICH COULD ULTIMATELY ALLOW THE USER TO USE QHD RESOLUTIUONS AT 250% SCALE 

HOPE TO SEE A GOOD RESPONSE

THANK YOU

This seems like something that could / should have been taken care of a long time ago - particularly considering that (I believe) all of those products are using the same cross-platform GUI toolkit.

SOLUTION PROVIDED IS TO SCALE DOWN TO 150% OR DEGRADE TO FHD(1920 X 1080) RESOLUTIONS

I'm sure at least a few people at AD have QHD displays.. I really think someone in AD needs to be more intolerant. It's great that you can work around something, but any work around should be looked at as a huge red flag that something is badly broken.

I feel like this is the same problem with stability. People run into a crashing bug, find a workaround, use it, and then forget about the crashes. There should be someone with some pull who intentionally lives with everything that doesn't work perfectly so these things can actually get fixed in a timely fashion rather than just lingering on forever.

kellings
Advisor

+1 for high DPI support. Fusion is almost unuseable on my Windows laptop with high res display.

jason.tebbe
Advocate

A temporary solution on Windows is to create a "manifest" file in the folder containing Fusion360.exe, which will be somewhere in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\webdeploy\production\ . The manifest file is just a text file called Fusion360.exe.manifest and contains the text below. The file basically tells windows to run just that program at a different dpi, so you don't have to change the scaling and the rest of your programs will look fine while running Fusion. This also works for AutoCAD, although you need to change the filename to acad.exe.manifest. The only problem with Fusion is that the frequent updates mean the executable moves around, so you will need to copy the manifest file to the latest Fusion folder whenever there's an update.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*">
</assemblyIdentity>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT"
version="9.0.21022.8"
processorArchitecture="amd64"
publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b">
</assemblyIdentity>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<security>
<requestedPrivileges>
<requestedExecutionLevel
level="asInvoker"
uiAccess="false"/>
</requestedPrivileges>
</security>
</trustInfo>
<asmv3:application>
<asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
<ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
</asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>
</assembly>

jb4787
Enthusiast

Another person reporting in; please make this an update.

chudodey
Explorer

+1 for high DPI support. I have DELL UP2414Q, 23.8", 3840x2160. Text is too small and it hard to read. Text is too small and it hard to read. In this case I dislike to use Fusion by ergonomic reason.

Снимок_экрана_011116_104127_PM.jpg

jacobM8XCJ
Observer

Just another data point for who ever is (not) paying attention to this isssue at AutoDesk.

Fusion 360 is almost unusable on my machine:

Thinkpad W541 / Windows 10 / 2880 x 1620 / 15.6" screen 

Strong cast to say with SolidWorks...

dgtlmoon
Participant

So I went and got myself a top of the line XPS 15 9550, stop - before you tell me to just change to a lower resolution - you can't really, the display looks blurry and horrible. you have to have this in the 3840x2160 or it just doesnt work well.

I've tried using various scaling options in the system display settings but it makes the fonts really hard to deal with

or the widgets are insanely small, i've tried the various fixes with the acad.exe.manifest file hack but it doesnt work

fusion 360 just is not usable on any HiDPI/4K display that I've been able to read about, this is a very large part of the professional market.

see my screenshot attached

Tags (2)
Riptide360
Advocate

Works well enough on 4K and 5K iMacs so it seems like it is time to support it on the Windows side too.

dgtlmoon
Participant
Yes absolutely, the 'scale font' option in windows feels like a real hack
and does not really seem to apply well to Fusion 360.

The general font sizing is quite uneven, and the various
buttons/slide/tools are very much out of proportion and can't be adjusted.

You are right, as always, Windows lags behind Apple 🙂
sarahlcraddy
Participant

Using a Surface Book with 3000x2000 and if I am not using an external monitor with 4K res, Fusion is is very hard to use.

dgtlmoon
Participant

So I just got the new update (12/march) and things seem a little worse now

• notification area is suuuper tiny and has no relationship to the system font sizes
  • the popup notification is TOTALLY broken, it is missing important text, the 'OK' button text needs padding
  • toolbar area is chopping off text
  • the tool icons are tiny and the text is regular (good) size but there is a lot of grey blank area along the top/bottom/sides
  • bottom viewmode tool icons are tiny

I havent really been able to use Fusion 360 to evaluate it in the 30 days 😞

broken-font-sizing-4k.jpg

In the next image you can see the tool options dialog is really broken too

box.jpg

So hmm not sure, it kind of leaves us windows 4K display users unable to really use the product I think

dgtlmoon
Participant

How do we get autodesk to acknowledge these issues?

Don't think there's an easy way to get them to appreciate how awful screwing up the scaling is.

Here's an example of an app that does it badly. See those little toolbar icons ? Look fine, right ? Well, that recycle bin to the left is actually normal sized and they're microscopic (coming from a guy who hand places 0402 components without magnification)

Capture d’écran 2016-03-14 à 09.46.18.png

scottmoyse
Mentor

Well this is messed up. None of the work arounds are working on the Lenovo P50 I have in my hands at the moment. Fusion looks god awful and completely unusable. How could this have happened? How are there only 20 votes on this idea?

My only conclusion is that people think each vote costs them a month of life
DaleBest
Contributor

Any update on this issue? More and more people will be using 4K.

Can you Autodesk guys give us an indication of how high / low a priority this is in your dev pipeline, so we know what to expect.

One (intense) week in, and aside from this, loving Fusion 360!

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration.  We have architectural upgrades that we are in the process of doing that this is dependant on.  Our icons are images and changing screen resolution requires images for each options.  The large amount of images effects our download, so we are exploring changing to vectorizing icons.  When work gets started the idea will be changed to Accepted.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Internal Tracking FUS-20995

dgtlmoon
Participant
Thanks mike!

Happy to buy you guys a 4K LCD just so you can experience the pain 🙂

Been quite frustrating receiving emails from Autodesk congratulating me for
finishing the trial period.. and yet.. well I can't use the product

Put me down as a beta tested if you need one
coca2502
Community Visitor

I would like to point out that three years later, this update still has not happened. Please consider addressing this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report