Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Optical Design and simulation

Add Optical Design and simulation

Hi,

Fusion 360 is great to produce CAD but would be even greater if was possible to simulate non-imaging and imaging optical elements/systems (design of illumination systems, projector systems, LASER based systems etc). Is it something you would consider in implement in the near future?

Best Regards,

Nelson Faria

12 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't agree more strongly with Nelson Faria. With AR and VR finally coming into their own (after more than 25  years of bouncing around waiting for the rest of technology to catch up) Fusion 360 would be an awesome platform for designing and simulating imaging optics, illumination simulation and optical bench simulation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the support. Its true, there is a myriad of technologies that rely in optical/photonic components already, from the humble torch to a phone screen, VR headsets, LASER based headlights etc... Its a truly an important tool/feature that Autodesk could easily capitalize  as would attract loads of optical/optical-electronic design engineers. The Future is bright, the Future is photonic! 😉

tyler.henderson
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

tyler.henderson
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback.  We have changed the status of this request to "Future Consideration" and the item number for our internal tracking purposes is ARRO-6405.

A couple of questions in the mean time: what software do you use for this today, if any?  If there is no specialized solution today, what do you use for designing these types of products?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Tyler, 

Glad to hear Autodesk is considering my idea. 
Regarding your question, I currently use LightTools to design non-imaging opti‎cs. Mostly of this kind of tools (ASAP, Zemax, Tracepro, SPEOS, Code V) unfortunately have severe shortcomings such as:
Able to do imaging or non imaging optics but not both in a seamless manner.
Poor CAD tools (SPEOS works inside CATIA but still very limited in functionality)
Poor support for free-form optics
Slow Raytracing
Realistic rendering
Those are just some of the issues you will find in such tools. Autodesk has the opportunity to produce something tightly integrated with the CAD system eliminating many of the current issues. Tsplines tool would be great in the design of free-form optics specially if implemented live raytrace path updates when changing the tspline surface. 

Regards, 
Nelson Faria
tyler.henderson
Community Manager

Thanks, Nelson.  I've added this information to the issue in our system to help with future development.

Regards,

Tyler

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nelson and Tyler,

I will strongly support this request. Smiley Happy

If we look at projects like this: https://formlabs.com/blog/creating-camera-lenses-with-stereolithography

I see a demand to add this functionality to Fusion especially because the current software available is not accessible without spending a certain amount of money. Thus preventing many new ideas and solutions beeing realized.

Regards,

Rainer

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tyler,

Any updates regarding if this features is going to be implemented in the near future?

Reagards,

Nelson

befthymiou
Observer

PLEASE ADD THIS!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 for this feature!

Thanks and best regards,

Matteo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Tyler 

Is the option for Optics, or internal tracking number ARRO-6405, still a pursuit of the team at Fusion 360? 

Id truly like to know as I’ve spent 30 days in the Fusion Trial and love it’s operation, but would really be in for the count if Optics was on the horizon. 

Cheers! 

-Kyle

mitch.muncy
Alumni

Hi @Anonymous,

No updates on this front as of right now.  

Mitch

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report