Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Additional Spring Design Functionality To The Coil Tool

Add Additional Spring Design Functionality To The Coil Tool

The Coil tool will likely primarily be used for modeling helical springs in compression, extension, or torsion applications. Although it might be used for other purposes it still feels incomplete. How about adding some functionality for designing thre three common classes of helical springs. Perhaps a whole new featire called the "Spring Tool "can be added that uses the coil tool.

For helical compression springs there are two common end features that should be added as options:
1. Closed, pitch adjusts at end coils so that they touch.
2. Ground so that the end coils are flat perpindicular to the main axis of the helix.

For helical extension springs a few features might also cover all common configurations:
1. Open loop ends
2. Closed loop ends.

2. Flexibility in position and orientation of loops.

For helical torsional springs there are again many configurations that can be covered usually with just a few smart features:
1. Sraight ends for the legs.
2. Flexibility in position and orientation of legs.

General functionality for all compression spring types:
1. Permit direction of winding.
2. Permit special geometry for cross-section of wire.
3. Permit ends to be easily modified for special end types such as custom loops or other shapes.

4. Permit special positoning and orientation of ends by permiting bends in any direction. 

Additonal Features:

4. Permit manual adjustments of end coils for pitch.
5. Create a library of common end types for non-compression springs.

4 Comments
julesmanson424
Contributor

CORRECTION TO ABOVE POST!

The above feature request has a few grammatical errors. Please see this comment for a corrected post.

CORRECTED POST:

The Coil Tool will likely primarily be used for modeling helical springs in compression, extension, or torsion applications. Although it might be used for other purposes it still feels incomplete. How about adding some functionality for designing thre three common classes of helical springs? Perhaps a whole new featire called the "Spring Tool "can be added that uses the Coil Tool.

For Compression Springs there are two common end features that should be added as options:
1. Closed, pitch adjusts at end coils so that they touch.
2. Ground so that the end coils are flat perpindicular to the main axis of the helix.

For Extension Springs a few features might also cover all common configurations:
1. Open loop ends
2. Closed loop ends.

2. Flexibility in position (at side or centered) and orientation of loops.

For Torsional Springs there are again many configurations that can be covered usually with just a few smart features:
1. Sraight ends for the legs.
2. Flexibility in position and orientation of legs.

Summary of General Functionality All Compression Springs:
1. Permit direction of winding.
2. Permit special geometry for cross-section of wire.
3. Permit ends to be easily modified for special end types such as custom loops or other shapes.

4. Permit special positoning and orientation of ends by allowing for bends in any direction. 

Summary of Additonal Features:

4. Permit manual adjustments of end coils for pitch.
5. Create a library of common end types for non-compression springs.

rpatil1
Community Visitor

"Permit special geometry for cross-section of wire."

In my case I was looking for a Rectangular Cross-section instead of  Square

Without this improvement, I cannot proceed with my design.

raphael.rosslhuemer
Participant

Hi,

I can only support your idea, such springs as it is shown, are taking quite a while and it would be nice to change the spring function in the way to more functions. It wold be nice, if there is a change.

Feder.jpg

jrinad70
Enthusiast

This is a great request.  Seeing how 95% of all springs are Closed-End Ground Compression springs, which is exactly what I need, why they didn't include the ability to create this one at the get-go baffles me.  But, AutoDesk, please add it.  Perhaps you should just create a separate command call "Create Spring" for spring creation and keep Coil separate.

The feature you also will want to include is the ability to add as many inactive coils to the spring.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report