Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a "Unassociative Paste" function

Add a "Unassociative Paste" function

As is, there are a couple different paste behaviors for copying a component in Fusion.

"Paste" makes a fully associative copy of the component: any modifications to the original will be reflected in the copy and vice versa.

"Paste New" makes a partially associative copy of the component: any modifications to the original that occur in the timeline BEFORE the copy are reflected in the copy, but any changes to the original that come AFTER the copy in the timeline are not reflected in the copy.

I propose a third paste behavior: "Paste Unassociative". "Paste Unassociative" makes a copy of the original in which NO changes in the original before or after the copy feature in the timeline are reflected in the copy, and vice versa.

This is especially useful if you have a template component driven by some user parameters and want to make several coexisting versions of the template each with different parameter values. This behavior can be acheived by exporting the comonent as a .SAT and reimporting it or by importing it into a different design and then breaking the link with the original design, but neither of these solutions are particularly clean or elegant.

5 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

Paste New doesn't work like that for me.

Here the component on the right is made with Paste New, Component3:1.

Capture.PNG

Edit the fillet on the part pre copy.

Capture04.PNG

After edit the copy doesn't change.

Clipboard02.png

Reading your last paragraph I think I understand, you are using parameters and Paste New is not creating copies of the user parameters. 

Mark

casey.rogers
Alumni

Hey Mark,

Now I feel silly for making this post. It appears the Paste New functionality has changed since I last tested it. It now appears to have the behavior of the "Paste Unassociative" feature that I requested. That's great! I should have tested the behavior again before posting.

HughesTooling
Consultant

Hi Casey

There is still a problem if you have a component made using parameters. If you make a simple rectangular block using 3 user parameters Width, Height and Depth, make a copy using Paste New if you change the parameters both copies will change. There is an easy workaround though, select the component and copy, start a new design and Paste New into the empty design, select the component in the new design and copy then Paste New back to the original design. After the paste you'll have 3 new user parameters Width_1_1, Height_1_1 and Depth_1_1 now the copy is totally independent.

Mark

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@casey.rogers have a look at this its close to what you wont and they are independint  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VTTctoid2E&feature=youtu.be

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Here is a screencast I made about 6 weeks ago that explains the different behavior of copying and pasting components and bodies in timeline mode and direct modeling mode.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report