Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to import files when you're offline.

Ability to import files when you're offline.

I'm sure whether this is a future consideration or not, but it's still a good idea i believe.

You could import files to fusion app when you're offline and later when you have internet connection it syncs with your account as it is currently.

Right now every time i want to import and modify something i downloaded from here or grabcad i must wait for the upload to complete. This is really a problem with large files and slow connection because it takes so long to upload.

Thanks!

19 Comments

Just part of a larger problem - (almost) everything should just work whether there is a reliable network connection or not.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

Would it be OK to have a limited set of offline import options?

STEP or maybe SAT? 

As to upload speed... we are working on that to.

cekuhnen
Mentor

This is really a must have. Not being able to simply load a file / data into a document is already for me border line unacceptable and the current converstion time is way to high for small files already.

Not being able to do this while being offline is even more a no-go for commercial users I can imagine.

Here in Michigan thanks to the lack of proper powerline planings we have many power and internet outages after storms for example.

JamieGilchrist
Autodesk

I'd like to get some clarification on your request.  

Do you want to import a file, while offline, into a project so it will upload and create a Fusion item once connectivity is restored?

Or, are you looking to import a file from your desktop to an open Fusion design?  right into your modeling window, regardless of ibeing online or offline>

Or is it both?

And to Kevin's question, would you be OK to a limited set of data types that could be supported in an offline import or desktop-to-modeling window workflow?

best, Jamie.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello and thanks for the concern!

To 

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

revalamp,

Thanks. two things that impact what we can do locally. Many CAD tools do not run on the MAC. SolidWorks and Pro/E (aka Creo) are notable.

We simply can not use the translation libraries we license or develop on the MAC platform as these libraries were not build to run on OSX.

The other consideration is that these are very large toolkits to read CAD data and would make the install larger.

I see how having these local would make your life easier. Are you a Windows or Mac user?

What if we offered the local translators as a separate download that you could get separately?

Anonymous
Not applicable

schneik,

I am a Mac user.

You made it very clear to me. Now when i read this information i would be happy with the limited set of offline import methods like you suggested before.
And the separate local translators would be great too let's say when a file format is not included in the limited set of import options.

So the most popular (or what is reasonable for you) CAD file formats should importable offline in Fusion and other formats importable via separate translators.

I hope i'm being realistic.

JamieGilchrist
Autodesk

revalamp,

we are investigating a few things here.

1.  allowing you to import CAD neutural files, essentially the same file types that are available in the export menu, to your active modeling document, regardless if you are online or off-line.  

2.  the ability to put data into your project while off-line and automatically uploading them to your cloud storage once online again.

3.  The possibility of adding local transation for other CAD file types, as an add-on or seperate download

best,

Jamie.

jaydenrre
Participant

As a student in Mexico learning Fusion, It would be GREAT to have as much offline support as possible, perhaps as an optional feature that those with steady, fast internet can opt out of.

Being that here in Mexico internet connection can be unreliable, mostly for home connections, offline support would be a great addition. Its not a problem on a university network, but still when i work with fusion, i will always have a computer, but not always have an internet connection guarantied.

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

We will support the local import of Sat, Step and IGES and F3d files in the next major update. It will create a new Fusion design and it will be up to you to chose a project to save the file.

Thanks,

Bankim

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Part of the July update. You cna translate SAT STEP and IGES locally now. DXF comming in the next update. Other propritary formats are not part of this plan because Mac translators do not exist for these formats.

Thanks,

Bankim

Cris-Ideas
Advisor

Hi,

If this was implemented, as stated, then how can I use it?

I tried offline mode, because there was info about scheduled maintenance, and I am not able to import anything.

Cris.

umcadop
Community Visitor

I also am curious how to do this.  I just downloaded the latest version and there is no option for importing when going offline.  I have also been waiting 10 minutes to upload a 1mb file with no progress.  This is becoming a waste of time.

leaveAlone
Enthusiast

@charegb you mention that translators for proprietary formats are not available for macs. since it seems they are available for Windows wouldn't it be possible to supply them separately like @JamieGilchrist mentioned in his third point in page one so that even these proprietary formats could be opened locally on Windows ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you development a local translators (offline) as a separate download ? ..please I need for solidworks, because all my design are in that.

Because I was thinking to change to solidcam for that reason.    Your product is good, but online....  no to much..

waclaw.neumann
Contributor

How about SLDPRT and assembly files SLDASM? So many parts in this format is available to make larger assemblies and make design work. I have to design machine and MUST have the ability to import SLDPRT files offline and it seems fusion can't do it:/ What a shame. Are you working on it? 

carthesian
Community Visitor

Importing .stp files is not possible?

cfastNJWK6
Advisor

I would like the ability to import models offline and have the project remain offline.  We have NDA's with all of our customers that we would be in violation of if we uploaded any customer information.  We also work on ITAR parts.  As it stands right now Fusion 360 can NOT be used on any ITAR parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report