Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to import a dxf or dwg and use as a sketch

Ability to import a dxf or dwg and use as a sketch

I just assumed that this would be a feature, yet I am unable to bring in a dwg file.

35 Comments
O.Tan
Advisor

considering both formats are owned by Autodesk, I'm surprised I can't add DXF and DWG drawings into F360 to convert them into 3D. I don't need the process to be automated but I just need an option to be able to import it into F360.

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

Maybe I don't understand exactly what you need but if you upload a DXF or DWG you will be able to open it from your data panel as a new model and work with it like you would any other F360 file.

cekuhnen
Mentor

what other program forces you to upload data creating a new design file so I can insert it into an excisting design file.

as a designer I should be able to just load/insert a DWG right into my design instantly. The upload process also takes way too much time.

O.Tan
Advisor

Aah, didn't know only by uploading DXF or DWG into the data panel will I be able to add it into F360, my idea is more from the insert panel (the one where I can insert images, SVG and decal), and I'm with cekuhnen on this one. 

JFKANSAS
Advocate

Its just the nature of being cloud based. Just like you can't directly open a .f3d file without uploading it first. Some of the file rendering and conversion happens server side. So unless you upload the file, fusion 360 doesn't know it exists.

YoSmite
Enthusiast
Can a sketch be saved and used in another different part?
punkrockseb2
Contributor

Importing dxf/dwg is a fundamental feature I had expected Fusion to already have from the very start. This needs to be added. Additionally an implementation that actually takes care of correct dimension e.g. not importing the dxf 10x bigger or smaller.

cekuhnen
Mentor

and do that without importing but also loading it right into a drawing without the hole upload drag ...

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

I requested this about a month ago along with more 2D import to sketch features. You should find it and give it a vote.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

cekuhnen
Mentor

This is over half a year old any idea of an implementation? Fusion is the only app I know where your cannot copt past import drawings. Kinda sad

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

I need to do this right now. Something that should be so easy and so simple has taken 15 min looking for a solution only to be led back to this thread. Guess I'll go back to trying to figure out the least annoying workaround. 

Zeeflyboy
Explorer

Coming from solidworks I also find this limitation perplexing - I want to be able to just select a face on my model and insert a DXF to be able to then extrude etc... 

KingJam
Observer

Any progress on this feature?

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

CarlM89

Thank you for your idea.  I am accepting your request for the ability to import a dxf.  We are targeting January for the completion of this feature.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

CarlM89
Advocate

Thanks Mike! I'm looking forward to this update! 🙂

andrews
Community Visitor

Hi ,

I have a workaround that may help.

Import your DXF file into a program that can save as SVG output.  A free program to do this is Inkscape (https://inkscape.org/en/)

Then save the DXF as SVG and import into Fusion 360 (insert SVG).

Hope this helps.

Andrew

sopersan
Explorer

Just started trying out Fusion 360 and was disappointed that I can't import AutoCAD drawings - especially since it takes me 2 min to draft something in CAD and trying to do the same in fusion has resulted in hours of frustration.  

After putting time into learning AutoCAD (and building in 3d), learning 3DS Max, learning Revit, and playing in Mudbox I'm sick of having to start from scratch on EVERY different Autodesk piece of software! Sigh:(...

CarlM89
Advocate

Another related issue when you upload a DXF file, it seems to assume that the units are centimeters. If it is any other unit, It is the wrong size. Other Cad software prompt you for the units when you import a dxf file. Getting dxf files into my workflow is still a huge pain point in Fusion 360. 

christian87XLX
Observer

Hey guys,

Has this issue been resolved yet? I too am struggling to import the dxf file in to fusion 360 to be able to work further on it. 

What i have is a simple sketch in dxf format which i want to extrude and work on. however i can extrude it but the entire sketch can not be selected.

Any help is appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report