Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A more professional material library!

A more professional material library!

The Material's Library on Fusion 360 is like a Kindergarten of materials. It is nice, is helps in extreme situations, but needs to go to school and to the university to be considered "professional".

In a normal work, the user makes a model, and want to put a specific material and a color to show the clients. This specific material couldn't be for God's shake "Plastis-Opaque-Blue"...It need to be for example a PLA, or a PET or whatever plastic exist in the wolrd. Only then, is a good design, taking in consideration the details as wich material should be ok or not in the manufacturing process.

Please, consider to give to the Material's Library and extremly usefull improvement as this or the next release.

Thanks!

19 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

Have you looked at the phyical materials?

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I voted on this based on the limited materials, but I saw another post showing a table of the materials available to "bolt asseblies via inventor" or soemthign similar.  That material library is FAR more robust in appearance.  It seems every material I've worked with so far has needed to be created, yet there are issues there.  Adding a physical tab to a new material requires using an existing material as a template.  Well, I don't want this bogus information included.  I would rather leave such things that I don't deem necessary for my tasks blank, but I can't delete the false information.  Another flaw seems to be coefficients such as thermal conductivity that are not constant.  Thermal conductivity of many materials changes as the material temp rises so at the very least it should call out "Thermal conductivity @ xxz deg F."  In the end to create a material with a few necessary things like elastic mod, Ys, & Uts, I have to research every element of the panels just ot be sure I'm not incorporating bad data.

In short:

A broader mat library .. There appears to be a far more developed one in Inventor that I can't seem to import or link to

Ability to start material from scratch and/or delete fields

colin.smith
Alumni

@AnonymousJust so I understand the ask here, you would like a more robust physical material list?

Anonymous
Not applicable

A great step would be to simply add more materials.  I took this to be an easy thing, because at one point, I found a much broader material list under the fastener menus.  Regardless, I find the scant list of steel pretty sad.  I have to make a new material, looking up all the moduli and such almost every time I sit down.

pic bs.png 

Missed that the question was to rafaal

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are adding more physical materials in the near future.  If you have specific materials you would like to see added please submit them.

Colin

smg288
Participant

I need to have AISI C1018 (cold rolled) added to the library. Also, 12L14 (Ledalloy)  304 and 316 stainless steel too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

15-5PH

17-4PH

17-7PH

18-8PH

A286

Inco 600

Inco 750

Most of these have numerous tempers, which would need to be specified.

robin7331
Contributor

Since many people are using Fusion to design parts that get 3D printed it would be great to see materials like regular PLA.

masureb
Autodesk

Plus one kudo from my point of view. I've done a benchmark for a customer and the difficulties I've got are mainly those one:
1- Edit a material: Why do we have to add it in your favorite before edit it? I would like to edit it where I create it...
2- Add more consistency between the interface from the Model/ Simulation / Render. The management of the Material/Appearance Library is totally different...

2017-07-12_15-08-21.jpg

3- If you create custom material, in the simulation, it's a just a long list... I've to add a "_" to find the custom one... but if you have more than 20... it become a nightmare... a search filter like in the model environmment would be great in the simulation environment...

2017-07-12_15-15-57.jpg

4- Have the ability to deploy your user library for all you Fusion Team Member. Like for the CAM Tool or something equivalent...

This issue is maybe more related to the appearance if you specificy a jpeg reference in your local space... Impossible to share... My appearances is a start... but you could not really reorder or add new folder...

5- Have the ability to import material from Matweb... You've got a long list with all the good criteria available there... Why can we not import it? 

My 2 cents.

-Bertrand

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fiber reinforced nylon (kevlar fibres, carbon fiber, and glass fiber) is becoming popular for 3d printing. It would be good to see it in the materials library too.

C.3PO
Observer

Faux fur fabric, or hair...

gmdimarzio88
Collaborator

where's tool steel? A2, D2, O1, S7 are very common materials. I see 4340 but no 4140. 302, but not 304 SS. Fusion is a joke when it comes to materials.

smg288
Participant
I agree, they are surely lacking when it comes to the variety of materials
in the library.
hoegge
Collaborator

Two years later one of the most used materials (PLA) is still not added.

A search box would also help a lot instead of having to scroll through all material to find it

HughesTooling
Consultant

For the people asking about 3d printed materials, what do you expect from the library? I mean even if you print at 100% fill using a FFF printer it'll still have voids. Depending on nozzle diameter print layer thickness etc., I'd expect a 1cm cube would be 10 to 30% underweight. Add to that most prints would have a lower percentage fill then nothing apart from the material name would be that useful.

Not sure how the other 3d print technologies compare to injection\compression moulding but again you could still get different qualities depending on layer thickness etc. so you'd need to print parts and figure out your own custom library to get anything useful.

Mark

hoegge
Collaborator
I'd expect PLA to be in the library. If you then print instead of mold - which is usually the case you would have to adjust for voids - but at least you would have an estimate of a maximum weight.

samgaddis
Enthusiast

I second Bertrands

christian.smed
Explorer

Working with extrusions! a very comen one is 6063-T5 and 6063-T6  It would be lovely to pick that material for simulations

Christian

Anonymous
Not applicable

i personally donot see any ceramic materials in any of my libraries!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report