Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3MF file format

3MF file format

Hello,

The new AM file format - 3MF, already arrived to SW.

Since Autodesk is also a founding member of the 3MF consortium, can I expect soon the integration of this file format in Fusion 360?

Tks,

AMagro 

23 Comments
drewrt
Explorer

Yikes!!  Just had my first client send me a .3mf file and it won't import...   Now I have to look for a file converter, yuck!   

Please add .3mf support soon, I don't think it's going away. 

mike
Contributor

Native 3MF support would be great, both import and export. I save multi body parts as 3MF rather than STL as it lets me ungroup the bodys in cura, then place each body on the build plate.

alexander.teusch
Explorer

Hi Autodesk, any news on this? Instead of a right-click and "Save as STL" it would be very cool to have a "Save as 3MF" too!

Henrik_Pankoke
Observer

I would like 3mf import and export feature as well.

wesleyKD6ZN
Community Visitor

Also Looking for 3mf support. Seems most of the 3d printer slicers now support it.

tperry5XEH6
Participant

+1 for 3mf support

lachlan.miskin
Community Visitor

+1 for 3MF support.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also like to see 3MF supported as import/export option.

Lichtjaeger
Community Visitor

+1

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

lure23
Collaborator
Meta: Could there be a forum that allows liking without “+1” reply. I’d
like to follow this thread but consider opting out because of these
messages.
mike
Contributor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Manufacturing_Format

Every time I do a google search, I find multiple sources listing Autodesk as being part of the 3MF group. So why is this taking so long to have proper 3MF file export with Fusion 360?

patrick.pruneau
Observer

+1

sid
Observer
Observer

+1 and I'd like to add that it's really kinda crazy and disrespectful of whomever from Autodesk that monitors these forums to just ignore the meaningful requests of its users.  It takes 1 minute to type a reply and let us all know what's going on and your plans for deploying this obviously better file format technology.  To ignore all of us is really just thumbing your nose and sending a clear message that you guys really don't give a F about what WE really want and just do whatever YOU think we want.

I really do like F360 but sometimes the stuff you guys do/act makes we want to look at other CAD/CAM solutions.  There are many you know.  RANT OVER...

alexander.teusch
Explorer

@sid chill out man, Fusion 360 is completely for free and pretty awesome. Yes, they could reply a little more and stop updating it every week (once a month is fine) but it's no reason to Rant. You are free to look at other CAD/CAM solutions all day long so what's stopping you?

morgan.everett
Observer

3MF file support sure would be appreciated.

jarery
Community Visitor

Appears 3MF file support is available, under the new "extensions" which i was quite excited to see.

My excitement ended, when as a home hobbyist, using the free version, i find i have 100 credits, but the extension costs 125 credits PER MONTH. And I have one option to add credits, at $130 CDN for 100 credits ( i assume thats $100 USD per 100)

SO one month of access to 3MF file extension costs $162 CDN. A Month !!!!! all i can say is wtf. I appreciate use of a great product for home hobbyist type use, but that pricing makes no sense to me.

phio
Observer

It is precisely because of professional programs like Fusion 360 that are free for hobbyists, that I finally chose to get into 3D printing.

I delayed this for years, because a long time ago, my first job out of university was working in CAD/CAM operating a 5-axis million machine. So I got to know the professional programs, and I just absolutely could not bare to use any of the alternatives like Sketchup and the early versions of FreeCAD. Back in the day I was using Autocad R14, Autodesk Inventor, Solidworks and Mastercam.

I became intimately familiar with the importance of drawing formats to ensure that my milling paths would be optimal.

Now I've been a software engineer for many years and I understand all too well and appreciate good software and the costs to develop and maintain it. I really like Autodesk software, and even as a hobbyist I would sign up right now for €300/year if .3mf was natively supported because this is the format that all the slicers are converging on rather than STL.

But the price for the manufacturing extensions at additional €173 per month is totally out of the question for something that is just a hobby for me.

Right now I'm content to sit on the free tier, getting to learn the features of Fusion 360 better. However I'm keeping a close eye on Blender as an open source alternative. Even though it's not really intended 3D printing or CAD/CAM, it's starting to look like a viable alternative, and there are similar calls for it to support .3mf. FreeCAD is also starting to look like much more of a professional program, but as of yet it also lacks support for .3mf.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future and who will capture the CAD market for 3D printing.

sid
Observer
Observer

It must be nice to qualify for a free version of Fusion360!  Since we use it for work/commercially related purposes we pay the subscription fee every year. So, while some of you guys have commented that you think I should "Chill" perhaps you would feel differently if you too had to cough up the $300+/year fee and still not get what SEEMS like should be a part of the 3D CAD/CAM software universe.

Again, let me say that I really do like F360 and it's still by far the best option for me/us but, at the same time there is room for improvement and I'm not really 100% in agreement with the way that Autodesk treats its CLIENTS and what they expect us to put with.  Simply put, there is more good than bad (at the moment) but HEY AUTODESK!!! -  is that really the position you want to put your Customers in- putting up with things and always 'on the fence' looking for something better?

Peace out!

alexander.teusch
Explorer

@sid really sid?? You are bitching about $300 a year for commercial use of some software? Christ man, if you are worried about that maybe you should take a look at your business model and change some **** around because that's absolutely nothing. I pay $299 a MONTH for software like 3ds Max, Solidworks is $1300 a year, even an official Windows Workstation license is $300.

You get a complete awesome CAD package for $300 a year, Fusion is super cheap!! And you can deduct it from taxes since its business cost so you don't even pay those $300 a year. You need to look at your priorities.

And by the way, you pay for Fusion so you have 3mf export...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report