Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D view engine needs to be faster !

3D view engine needs to be faster !

I do not know what causes the slow down in Fusions 3D view but with dense models it tanks

literally reducing the frame rate to a speed that makes it hard to work with.

The same model loaded in Alias provides a fluid and smooth workflow no matter if the model

has 3000 or 9000 surfaces.

So it cannot be my hardware which is why I made the Alias test.

The same model tested on a surfaceBook pro running win10 and using a much weaker GPU

runs dramatically faster than the MacPro I have with 2 GTX 970s.

So it seems that in addition the Mac version of Fusion has a openGL speed problem compared to

the Fusion for Windows.

Even selecting patches in Win is faster - at least the engine showing the patches being blue and selected

runs noticeable faster on the surfaceBook. 

I am not sure if the offenders are:

• the selection / highlight system
  • the added effects etc in 3d view
  • or the 3D view display engine in general.

However something really is making Fusion unable to deal with dense cad data I tested here in my studio

but also in the engineering department yesterday at work at Wayne State.

4 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

So I checked Fusion on the MacPro 2008 with Win10 and it runs much smoother (faster screen refresh rate) under Windows than macOS Sierra!!!

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

JamieGilchrist
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Hi Claas,

so we know what the problem is here and it is being addressed currently.  The problem is when you bring in iges or other surface model data that has large amounts of patches, the rendering of the surface normals creates a heavy performance tax for Fusion.  We are addressing this in two fixes.

the first fix is providing a user level preference to turn on surface normal display.  Surface normal display will be off by default, we know that this exponentially brings the performance back up.  The development team is working implementing this now and should be available in the next couple of updates

the next level fix is to provide a command, akin to the component coloring toggle for surface normals, so if you need to see surface normal information it's one click away for viewing and further available during reverse normal commands in the patch workspace.  We expect with this implementation that the preference/first fix will then likely go away.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@JamieGilchrist

That is fantastic news! While the car models I use to benchmark are not typical Fusion models, I however run into issues when collaborating with the engineering students who use mainly NX and other systems and work on quite large assemblies for our projects.

So seeing these changes coming is great to hear! looking forward to it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report