Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Printed (FFF/FDM) Appearance Options

3D Printed (FFF/FDM) Appearance Options

I design primarily for 3D Printing output, with the print most often being the finished product. When I am submitting renders to clients for approval before beginning a print, it would be nice to have an Appearance texture that mimics FFF (FDM) extrusion lines in a manner similar to the 3D Wood Appearances.

Essentially, "side" faces would have stacked layer lines, while the "top" and "bottom" faces would have a solid infill pattern. Perhaps there could be a choice between a couple different "Top/Bottom" patterns (e.g. Rectilinear, Concentric, etc.), as well as an option to scale "Layer Height".

3 Comments
lucasproko
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Hey @Anonymous,

Thank you for your idea! Our team has been tossing this functionality around for awhile, and are beginning to spec out what it might look like in product. The new material will not be incorporated immediately, but I would hope we get to it in the next year. In the meantime, you can use the workflow I describe in the below forum post to get a rough depiction of FDM printed materials.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/3d-printed-look/m-p/7080954#M111656

Thanks,

Lucas

g.godfrey123
Community Visitor

Did you guys ever get round to this? Really would like the option also!

abfoster
Observer

This would be such an excellent feature. Really hope this didn't fall by the wayside.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report