Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for Multiple Monitors

Support for Multiple Monitors

Full support for multiple monitors

Allow browser(s) to dock correctly on any edge of any screen, not just docking when inside 'parent' application

Allow browser(s) to be 'Always On Top' when used on different screen to 'parent' application

27 Comments
rob_bolter
Enthusiast

We have an issue where when using mutliple screens in an automation process the cursor HAS to be on the UCS. If its anywehre else we have a crash.

So, I support this. Expecially since we are looking to start using KVM's instead of remote desktop to run batch jobs.

danmachen
Advocate

Does this post address the need for support of being able to move the CAD files out of the browser window?

i.e. Inventor 2016 does not have the functionality to display an .iam and a .ipt across multiple monitors and allow simulatenous working.

DRoam
Mentor

@danmachen, unfortunately not. However, there is a request for that functionality here: Multiple Windows per Session. Please give it an upvote if you'd like Inventor to have multi-window functionality.

DRoam
Mentor

Does anyone know if the following Idea was addressed when this "multi-monitor support" was added? I don't have a way to test it: Dialog window location.

DRoam
Mentor

It still really irritates me that this Idea was marked as "Implemented." I still can't figure out what sort of so-called "Support for Multiple Monitors" was added in Inventor 2016. Or 2017 or 2018 for that matter.

The idea clearly stated "Full support for multiple monitors" in the description. So, the obvious question is, what does that mean? Well, let's listen to what the people who supported this Idea think it means.

Ok. Gathering from the original idea, comments on this idea, and a quick search for other ideas with the keyword "monitor" that existed before this Idea was marked as implemented:

• Allow browsers to dock to any edge of any screen. (OP)
  • Allow browsers to be 'Always On Top' when used on a different screen from parent application. (OP)
  • Option to hide the browsers when Inventor is not the active application (Comment)
  • Allow the browsers to dock to each other (Comment)
  • Better browser docking/layout capabilities (Comment, Comment)
  • Have multiple Inventor windows open (i.e. so one can be placed on each screen) (Comment, Idea, Idea)
  • Improve management of where browsers and dialog boxes appear when switching monitor setups (Idea)

Out of those things, how many were implemented? From what I can see, one. We got a nice "Always On Top" option for the Browsers.

Dan said that the ability to dock browsers to the monitor edges was added, but I've been running Inventor with 3 monitors for years now and I can not in Inventor 2016 or 2017 dock my Browsers to the edge of any of my screens. It's possible the Inventor team only tested with two monitors and it doesn't work with more than that... but that's not support for "multiple" monitors, is it? So that one doesn't count.

Dan also said that browser locations persist from session to session, but that already worked before, so that doesn't count, either.

So by marking this Idea as Implemented, Autodesk is essentially saying that 270 people voted on this idea..... because they wanted an "Always on Top" button for the Browsers?? I don't think so. And even if we're generous and throw in the browser edge snapping... 270 votes for "always on top" and edge snapping for browsers?

Still don't think so.

No, people voted on this idea because of its title and description, which clearly state "Support for multiple monitors". And the comments and other existing ideas clearly communicate what this means to the people using Inventor. Marking this idea as implemented essentially killed one of the top-voted Ideas and one of the top-voted functionalities: FULL multi-monitor support for Inventor. Now this idea is dead, and we still have nothing close to full multi-monitor support.

I took the time to write all of this mainly for this reason: In hopes that before the current top multi-monitor Idea is marked as implemented (Dual Monitor Support for Inventor 2016), ALL of the points listed above, which were communicated as crucial to "full multi-monitor support", are recognized, carefully evaluated, and fully implemented (and tested, on MULTIPLE screens) by the Inventor team. It is acceptable for this to be done over multiple releases if necessary. But the idea should not be marked as "Implemented" until it has actually been implemented. Fully.

alexmende
Collaborator

I agree that this should not be marked as implemented. I would consider full support as the following image from @DRoam's link with browsers and ribbons on all screens:

Dual Monitor (Not Spanned)

ProKAD
Enthusiast

Hardly call this support for multiple monitors. The whole purpose of multiple monitors is so you can have two windows running side by side. Sure, allowing certain panels to be docked on the other screen gives you more screen work space, but if we needed that we'd just by a bigger monitor. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea