Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction in Pass Width of Cut

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Steinwerks
353 Views, 4 Replies

Reduction in Pass Width of Cut

Anyone know of a way to reduce the width of cut incrementally without creating multiple toolpaths? We're using a double angle cutter to create a groove in a large ring and I would like to reduce the stepover as the cut gets deeper since the V groove gets larger (more tool engagement the deeper the cut).

Also has there ever been a way to make this entry transition between multiple passes better? Feeding directly in is going to suck with this tool:

Stepover.JPG

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
parobillard
in reply to: Steinwerks

@Steinwerks

The only option I think of is using rough pass and finishing pass... you will have 2 width of pass..

Message 3 of 5
Steinwerks
in reply to: parobillard

I went a different route and roughed with a 2D Adaptive followed by a 3D Contour with an insert slot mill and finished with the HSS cutter with a single pass and a spring pass, one each top and bottom.

What I wanted would have meant four or five separate toolpaths which is what I wanted to avoid. Was hoping someone knew an expression or method to force an incremental pass width reduction but apparently not Smiley Wink

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 4 of 5
parobillard

Yeah as you said I'm pretty sure there is no way in hsm right now to do that! The only possible way could be in post but it would be pretty complicated!!

Message 5 of 5
Charlie_Wright

Have you messed around with a spiral pocket? With stock control, You can control the step over.
Charlie

test.jpg

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Win 10, Inventor HSM 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report