Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSMXPRESS solidworks add-in not working

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
865 Views, 10 Replies

HSMXPRESS solidworks add-in not working

I downloaded HSMxpress 2017 for use with a student version of Solidworks 2016.  When I go to add-ins and select HSMworks it does nothing, when I hover over HSMworks it shows the destination folder as the Solidworks Electrical add-in folder and not the HSMxpress folder in program files.  How do I change where solidworks searches for this add-in, or make it work in general?  I used to use HSMxpress at work and loved it, now i've got a CNC mill at home and would like to use it again.

Screenshot attached.

Thanks for any and all help!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jeff.pek
in reply to: Anonymous

Seems like there's a problem with the registration of the plugin.

A few questions:

1) Are you sure you downloaded the right "flavor" (32- vs 64-bit) of HSMXPress?

2) Can you confirm that the program files are in place, in c:\program files\hsmxpress?

If so, try opening an administrative command prompt, and use "regsvr32 c:\program files\hsmxpress\hsmsw.dll".

3) After doing this, check to see if you have a registry key at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{46E5266E-08AB-42C9-8918-EFF6CAD33437}.

Jeff

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff.pek

1) I did download the right copy (64 bit)

2) I did this and got an error, screenshot attached.  Also confirmed all the program files seem to be in place.

3) I don't understand what you're asking me to do here, Sorry, I'm not a huge computer guy!

Thanks for the help!

Message 4 of 11
jeff.pek

Thanks for trying those things.

As for the error, that's because you used "c:\programfiles" (with no space). What happened on the first command (with "c:\program files")?

Can you check the following:

1) In Windows Explorer, show me the contents of the directory "c:\Program Files\HsmXpress".

2) Run Regedit, and navigate to the key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{46E5266E-08AB-42C9-8918-EFF6CAD33437}. right-click and export that key, zip up the .reg file it saves, and e-mail it to me at jeff DOT pek AT autodesk DOT com.

BTW, I assume after trying the regsvr step, you're still seeing the same thing in SolidWorks for the addin?

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I still got the error with or without the space in "program files", screenshot attached.

1) I attached a screen shot of the contents of the HSM directory. 

2) I went through these steps and I do not have a key by that address.  Screen shot attached of where that key would be numerically.  Could this be my problem?

Message 6 of 11
jeff.pek

A couple things:

1) When you reference a file on the command line that contains spaces, you need to use (double) quotes around it. That's why you're getting the error about c:\program. 

2) Are you using the HSMXpress icon to launch solidworks, or launching it directly? I think that if you use the hsmxpress icon, it will try to register the addin for you.

So, try again to do the registration, quoting the dll file path (or run it from within c:\program files\hsmxpress) and/or use the hsmxpress icon to launch solidworks. Let's see if either of those can get it registered properly.

Thanks for the extra info.

Jeff

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Okay, I used the quotes around the command and it comes up with the same error (just includes the whole file path now instead of just C:\program). 

I do not have an icon to run solidworks directly, I went to the HSMSW.dll file and opened it with solidworks.  When I do that it looks like solidworks will open (goes to the screen where solidworks is loading all the add-ins, checking license, etc) but when its done it just disappears, does not open solidworks.  I've opened solidworks normally and still have the wrong file path when hovering over HSMworks in the add-ins menu.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Hello Sean, I have the exact same problem with the add-in, Ive tried so many ways to fix it with no positive result. But one thing I tried was installing it in two different Windows 10 computers (mine is Win 7) and it worked flawlessly. So as I saw from your screenshot it looks like you also have Win 7, I'm guessing that we both have a compatibility issue. 

I'm currently checking the possibility of updating to Win 10, I will keep you updated if that fixes the issue.

Message 9 of 11
Steinwerks

I have Windows 7 at home and work, and have had no issues installing on either computer (when I was using Xpress that is, no issues with Premium or Ultimate either) so I wouldn't think it's a Windows-specific issue.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Steinwerks

You are right, I just installed it on another Win 7 computer and it worked. I will keep looking for a possible solution.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

i have the same problem and i try to install HSMworks and my problem still perssiste with this error message "Failed to load HSMworks add-in please reinstall HSMworks "

my computer running under :

Windows 8.1

HSMworks version is HSMWorks2017-R3.41577-x64.exe

solidworks 2017 premium SP02

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report