Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSM Express for Solidworks under Windows Remote Desktop

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
kunzem
771 Views, 8 Replies

HSM Express for Solidworks under Windows Remote Desktop

we got a problem running HSM Express within Solidworks (2017) within a Remote Desktop Environment (Windows 7) that is a remote pc next room (we don't use windows pc's on desks only per remote). 

Now once HSM gets active (even when loading as plugin, not even the tab active) the windows guy starts getting corrupted (the windows start button starts glowing ?!?). Once you enter the CAM Tab the System gets totally corrupted the Solidworks Windows are randomly cluttered, the 3d View has strange artifacts. When exiting Solidworks the windows gui gets totally destroyed.

Any ideas? My guess here is that HSM uses some dirty tricks to the windows gui api, cause such things i never saw in 15 years of using remote desktop environments (esp. Terminal Servers).

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Laurens-3DTechDraw
in reply to: kunzem

What version of HSMXpress are you using?

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 3 of 9
jeff.pek

This rings some bells here with some kind-of-similar issues we've seen in the past, and have taken measures to try to fix. These have been very elusive to both reproduce and fix.

A couple of things that would be interesting to know:

1) How quickly does this happen (after launching Solidworks)? Is it right away, or does it degrade over time, either suddenly or gradually?

2) Is this consistent with different environments -- both client- and server-side? e.g., if the host is Windows 8 or 10, do you still see the same thing? What about with different clients?

3) When this occurs, it would be good to see what Task Manager is reporting for "GDI objects" under Details. You may need to enable the display of this column.

Thanks for the extra info.

Message 4 of 9
kunzem
in reply to: jeff.pek

Versions (both the same problem) together with Solidworks 2017 SP1

HSMXpress2016-R4.41148-x64.exe

HSMXpress2017-R3.41577-x64.exe

Happens only via remote desktop, using console (directly on the pc) has no issues.

also the completely destroyed windows gui stays until you logoff the windows session, a new one afterwards without reboot is working fine.

1.) it happens right away when solid works is loading a part and is "loading" hsm express (says so in the status bar on the bottom)

2.) Client side i tested a win7 rdp client and the one from microsoft for mac os, other host os i didn't try but can if it helps.

3.) i will research on that and will report back

Message 5 of 9
George-Roberts

Can you try resetting the solidworks UI in the registry? I've had a similar issue which was resolved by doing this

http://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2014/09/resetting-the-solidworks-registry.html

Message 6 of 9
kunzem
in reply to: George-Roberts

So i tried to reset the Registry aswell as the newest version of hsmexpress: HSMXpress_2018_ML_R1_41810_Win_64Bit

Message 7 of 9
kunzem
in reply to: jeff.pek

for 3. again:

Screenshot

Message 8 of 9
pmmAD9CK

Hi.

I have the same problem. It's when a use remote desktop from my laptop to connect to my Main Stationary PC.
And it's the stationary pc there makes all the strange small windows all over the screen. But it will only come when i load in a part or asm in solid. And the strange thing is it's only sometimes it somes right away, other times there goes some min. before it go crazy. It's like something crashes in HSM or solid... and the screen won't refresh anymore.

Software: Info:
HP 800G2 With I7-6700 CPU 3,40Ghz with 16GB RAM 
Windows 7 Professional SP1 + AMD FIREPro V5900 (driver 15.201.2401.1009)
Solidworks 2018 x64 SP4
HSMXpress 2019 R2.43091

I have tryed with 3 version of HSM before this one, and still have the same problem.

I have no idear what the problem is, but i attached a screen dump of my taskmanager.

Greetings
Poul

Message 9 of 9
jeff.pek
in reply to: pmmAD9CK

This seems like a problem related to video drivers and/or remote desktop. Are you using latest updates for OS and video drivers on both systems?

Here's an article that talks about display artifacts in RDP sessions. It's showing different detailed symptoms, but perhaps some of the suggestions made are at least worth tinkering with: https://superuser.com/questions/1143834/purple-artifacts-in-rdp-session

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report