Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Processor for Fusion 360 to run Axiom AR8 Pro and other Axiom Models

Post Processor for Fusion 360 to run Axiom AR8 Pro and other Axiom Models

I have an Axiom AR8 and would like to use Fusion 360 since it is at the core of most Maker Labs across the country and allows seamless collaborative product development that the currently supported software from Axiom does not. I use it and teach it in conjunction with the Tormach 1100 at a local Maker Lab and it works flawlessly.

I might add kudos to the team at Tormach who took the bull by the horns and went very far to solve problems that they were having with various CAD software on Widows and were brilliant to take LinuxCNC and craft their own suprer-reliable clone called PathPilot. That is the kind of integrity that will drive the expanding educational and maker tsunami that our friends at Axiom have yet to commit to.

I would offer for anyone that has the time and requisite skill (i.e. programming, language interpolation algorithms, patches, and gcode knowledge) to generate sample gcode from Fusion and I will run tests, time allowing, on my AR8 machine to get a proper post processor in place as soon as possible.

Some suggestions would be to get a trial copy of one of the software products supported by Axiom (Vectric being the most popular) and create a simple test file - i.e. a simple block with 4 different radii on the corners and two pockets with climb and conventional directions, done is several depth steps and all with the same tool and then post the gcode for Axiom. Next export the vectors as DXF and import into Fusion create the same specifications of toolpaths and export the gcode for some generic default machine like MAch2/3 or GRBL and see what the differences are.

If you need any guidance from Axiom don't hold your breath. It seems they do not seem to want to get involved in anything related to software other than the products they sell and do not seem to have a grasp of basic GCode necessary to make any useful suggestions, most likely by design. Otherwise their product would run on an actual computer so we could see what file is actually being run before a random collisions or conflicts and other information that can best be seen and verified visually.

BTW - the guys at CNC Cookbooks have a GCode Editor and simulator that they are working on and they might be able to pitch in as well as they currently hold more experience with the entire knowledge chain of CNC from tools, materials, speeds and feeds to the actual gcode itself. So I'd hit them up for suggestions. They do not currently list the Axiom machines in their postprocessor list and might be excited to add them.

Anyway if I had more time I'd get involved myself but I have product to get out to global customers and shows to attend, etc. I will, however, as I mentioned, be glad to run test code and do "air cuts" before touching any material - time allowing - just to be able to provide a machine to whoever is interested. Please contact me on this forum if you are interested.

Let's get this done! Axiom machines are extremely well made, accurate and deserve a wider range of support than they are getting from those who should care.

RT  

35 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need this as well!

jeffhammond
Enthusiast

Can we just throw money at this problem?

or- how much would it cost to pay someone to make the Axiom post?

I recently purchased an Axiom Elite model and am expecting delivery within the month..  

I'd way rather spend $800 on a legit/professional(?) post processor from Fusion than to pay for a VCarve license and Parallels license.

(further, i just don't want to get Parallels going on my computers.. (i'm on Mac btw.. have been for 15 years.. never used Windows)).

---

anyway, is $800 a lowball number for this kind of thing? or high? or what?

and who would I contact to do something like this?

---

(oh-- and if this were to happen, i'd share it freely 😉 ..or try to have it added to Autodesk's list)

advancedretention
Participant

SERIOUSLY someone please help! I want to be able to use fusion with my AR6!! 

exit98
Explorer

I really need this as well! I'm doing a lot of brass milling and could really benefit from some adaptive clearing on my AR8Pro.

advancedretention
Participant

Just an update on this (can't stand when people find answers then abandon forums and never respond anymore). 

RS274 post in Fusion seems to work. I've machined 10+  3d molds with no issues (knock on wood) 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have also found that RS274 is working. I haven’t run into any problems.

My biggest problem came from the Axiom controller having a safety setting of not going 40mm or more above the origin. If you are machining taller parts, change the safety setting in the controller.
advancedretention
Participant

Yeah I haven't had that issue yet... machined quite a few of these. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfrrKa8HYd4/?taken-by=advancedretentionsystems

jeffhammond
Enthusiast

ok. good to know ben & advanced.

thanks for chiming in

rbtHTJJU
Contributor

Great News! I will try during the next couple of days to create some tool paths and run on my AR8.

If this works I will be very happy!     CAUTIOUS but happy!  😛

Thanks everyone for taking time to get behind this project. 

Next? - For those of you that have Axiom products - Speed control from GCode - I hear a group in UK has a swap-out controller that will turn your machine into a REAL CNC machine - so your S-Codes are not dying from neglect and you can actually use something like CNCWizard to calculate your feeds and speeds. Runs on a PC as well. Yippee. Kinda sorta . . . . well anyway. Will start a new post for that once this one is finally resolved.

RT

exit98
Explorer
This is really great news to hear. I will definitely be giving this a try.
advancedretention
Participant

I believe if you go into the controller and tell it to get speed from Gcode it will... worked for me on my AR6. 

I am still hesitant to walk away from my machine while cutting, but I am slowly building confidence - as I have made several cuts with fusion and have not had a failure due to that yet. 

rbtHTJJU
Contributor

advanced -  Out of the box the controller is set to ignore both F (feed rate) and S (spindle speed) codes. If you go into the controller and set the spindle speed option (S codes) from ignore to allow - it doesn't do anything. When I reset those the Feed Rate worked so it does not ignore that and now I can hear the drive motors slow down into corners etc, But the S codes are not being read so that when there is a tool path change with the same tool there should be a corresponding spindle speed change but its not happening. 

Research into the RichAuto Operators Manual shows that there is, in fact, a terminal block that has connectors for spindle speed control but in the Axiom products the wiring diagram does not show any wires connected to that. Instead the speed control comes from the dial on the front of the machine.

It's possible that the control box could be "Hackaday"-type hacked but I would not try it myself without having some assurance that it would work. You may also need a completely different spindle. Not sure. 

I think that's what the UK guy is doing. Anyway this is probably not on topic for this group so maybe we can pick up over on the Axiom forums or offline. Send me a message in the profile section if you would like to pursue this anon.

RT

advancedretention
Participant

Yeah I don't mind setting spindle speed manually.. I got the controller allow me to control speeds with the Gcode... I tried to up the acceleration and it slipped a few times so I don't mess with that anymore haha

AchimN
Community Manager

Is there anything causing trouble by using the rs274 post for the axiom control? If so, it would be great if someone could share a programming manual here to be able to create a specific post for these machines.

AchimN
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

exit98
Explorer
I just tried the rs274 post and it ran nice and smooth on my AR8. I’m definitely going to keep testing, but this is a great step forward.
rbtHTJJU
Contributor

AchimN - Not sure what you're suggesting or what you are understanding for this thread. Are you a CNC operator? Do you use Fusion 360?

Postprocessors don't have "programming manuals". What is your authority on this forum and why have you set the status to "Under Review"? What exactly does that mean?

This is an ongoing open thread until someone produces concrete evidence - i.e. a photo or other proof that the RS274 does indeed work. Otherwise please do not interfere with this ongoing research.

Thanks in advance, RT

rbtHTJJU
Contributor

exit98 - can you share some of the specifics of what you did? That would be really helpful. What was the material (pictures of finished part) and what kind of post production dimensional checks have you done/ In other words if the pocket was supposed to be 121.5 mm wide - is it? Then long, deep etc. XY and Z axis all to spec? Those are the kind of things that could get lost in translation.

Thanks so much for your input. I'm going to be running some parts tomorrow using that PP and I'll put the result up this weekend hopefully.

Cheers,

RT

AchimN
Community Manager

@rbtHTJJU Well, I´m not a CNC operator (anymore) but i am working at Autodesk on the post processor team. So yes, I do use Fusion as well.

I did set the status to "Under Review" because we would like to create a generic AXIOM post, therefor a programming manual or at least a list of supported G/M codes for these machines would be helpful.

exit98
Explorer

@rbtHTJJU I did a quick test in the air without cutting and then I ran a test in some wood. I haven't done any dimensional check yet but will on the next piece.

IMG_3413.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report