2D-Contour path breaking issue

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
stefan.schroeer
566 Views, 12 Replies

2D-Contour path breaking issue

Hello all,

I got a Problem with 2D-Contour (Inventor HSM & HSMWorks). In my task I' m working on tangential cutting with diamond tools (cutting edge orientated in cutting direction). The problem is that the whole path is broken at the intersection point and thus splitted in two toolpaths (preserve order makes no difference). I need one path which begins at (0/0) and ends at (10/25).

Anyone has a solution for this?

Thanks Stefan

2D-Kontur.png

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Do you see the same thing in Inventor HSM And HSMWorks?

Because the selections are totally different, and I can understand this happening in Inventor HSM not so much in HSMWorks.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 3 of 13

Maybe you should use "Trace" ??

Message 4 of 13

HSMWorks and Inventor HSM leads to the same result.

Trace works but unfortionaly lacks in terms of top height, bottom heigt and for me most important finishing passes and configuration... Sure It's possible to use multiple trace steps but therefore one needs to draw also the lines in multiple heights because of the lack of top height adjustment. So it would be really nice to get this with 2D-Contour. The main drawback is that it gives me G1 X Y points for the structure and no more G2/3 commands! That leads in a problem in tangential mode in my controller.

Thanks Stefan

Message 5 of 13

** I've replied this before you edited your post sorry ***

I understand

But with 1 sketch and 2 traces you could probably do everything you need

In trace you can use "Axial offset" to set the height and "Axial offset passes" to set the number and height of passes.

1 trace for rough, 1 trace for finish.

Message 6 of 13

@stefan.schroeer wrote:

HSMWorks and Inventor HSM leads to the same result.

Trace works but unfortionaly lacks in terms of top height, bottom heigt and for me most important finishing passes and configuration... Sure It's possible to use multiple trace steps but therefore one needs to draw also the lines in multiple heights because of the lack of top height adjustment. So it would be really nice to get this with 2D-Contour. The main drawback is that it gives me G1 X Y points for the structure and no more G2/3 commands! That leads in a problem in tangential mode in my controller.

Thanks Stefan

Pretty sure 2D Contour is indeed not allowed to cross itself.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 7 of 13

Yes, but this doesn't solve the problem that it doesn't out put G2/3 commands. I only get G1 point to point motion also for the arcs, this leads in bad behavior of the tangential mode and would lead to damage on the tools.

Message 8 of 13

The only solution then will be to manually edit your job...

Message 9 of 13

@stefan.schroeer wrote:

Yes, but this doesn't solve the problem that it doesn't out put G2/3 commands. I only get G1 point to point motion also for the arcs, this leads in bad behavior of the tangential mode and would lead to damage on the tools.

Also with smoothing on?

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 10 of 13

Even with smoothing on, I get single G1 commands.

Message 11 of 13

I believe trace does linearise a lot of moves... I have just drawn up a similar shape and can see your issue. I have found an option which may be a 'workaround', as long as you have the 3D machining strategies.

First off, create a 'dummy' block below the sketch, it can be any size bigger than the sketch

2017-03-27_14h28_43.png

Create a 'Project' toolpath, select the contours to machine and enable smoothing.

Your post should give G2/G3 moves with this strategy 🙂

It would be good if the trace command could output G2/G3 as it would be a much cleaner solution

Message 12 of 13

That's the solution! Thanks! It works in HSMworks and Inventor HSM, perfect!

Message 13 of 13

Awesome 🙂 Glad I could help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report