Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning - Home from front of part rather than WCS

Turning - Home from front of part rather than WCS

I think in a lot of people's workflows the front of part and WCS are the same location. In my work flow, the WCS is a consistent location and the front of the part floats based on a bunch of factors. It would be nice if the option existed to allow the home position to exist relative to the front of the part, so I didn't have to constantly manually correct the location.

21 Comments

If we make a drop-down for this we could also make it from front of stock. Because if you have a pieces where a lot has to be machined, that would come in handy too.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

Agreed; really, what i'm looking for is 'from front of stock' - but i'd imagine just adding in all of the typical options.

electromechanica
Collaborator

Any chance of this ever coming to light?  

I nuked a boring bar yesterday as I moved my part out from my chuck, but forgot to change my home position.  

Completely my fault, but this feature may have saved me in this case.  

Picture for effect:  

IMG_20170627_103427.jpg

@jeff.pek @al.whatmough  , any input?

@electromechanica

If you move the stock out of the chuck but not change the wcs not sure what would have saved you.

electromechanica
Collaborator
@Laurens-3DTechDraw

I run my WCS at the face of my collet: it never changes.

I moved the part out from the face of the collet in the cam and in the actual machine, but did not go into job setup to increase the home position offset.

If the home position was parametric to the part face, it would have updated with the changes and moved with the part.

@electromechanica

In that case, you would really need it offset from the stock front indeed.()

It's not very common to keep your workoffset there, but it is possible indeed so there should be a fail safe solution for it.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor
It's plenty common, I've never ran a lathe any other way, and his results are precisely the concerns I had in mind when making this thread..
electromechanica
Collaborator

I think I got the the Idea from you in the first place rob!  

It works out really well as it never requires touching off WCS offsets.  I can just load tools, stock & go.  

@Rob.Lockwood

Never seen anyone other than swiss turners do such a thing.

How the heck do you make the second side of the part?

Or are you a turning guy that only has part-of jobs, aka stuff for the manual guy?

electromechanica
Collaborator
Second side is easy: 

Grab with sub, partoff, finish.  

Smiley Happy 

@electromechanica

And your work offset on the sub is on the front of the sub spindle too?

Btw you both are not using chucks right, but collets?

electromechanica
Collaborator

Correct, I set the face of my sub spindle as G55 Z0.  

I am using Royal 65mm quick grip collets on both spindles.  

@electromechanica

And then how do you adjust the length of your part?

Always in the CAM system?

electromechanica
Collaborator

Granted: most of the time I am not dealing with super tight tolerance parts.  

However, if I need to slightly adjust the length of the part, I can offset my subspindle postion (B axis on my doosan) by a couple thou such that it grabs slightly shorter or longer.  

Maybe not the best workflow for everyone, but it seems to work out well for me.  

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor
I believe we're both primarily using dead length collets, yes, but I've
done the same with 3jaw, and on single spindle lathes where 2nd op gets pie
jaws..

sub works the same, it's all down to accurately finding the distance
between the two; ive not ran a ton of parts across the NTX, two dozen part
numbers or so.. but I've only ever set work coordinates once 🙂

@Rob.Lockwood

If you are working with 3 jaws, you have so many different length of jaws from the front face of the chuck that it really is more work getting a probe, note that value down and then walk to your pc and change that length, than to just program from the front.

As a mill guy, I hate the usual we program from the front of part turning guy mentality but I understand it's much easier when working with a 3 jaw, and at least 8 types of hard jaws and different length pins for in those jaws, let alone the soft jaws you have/need. And it matters how much stock you have and if you are only working from bar or not.

I'm not saying what you guys are doing is wrong let me be clear about that. But for the rest reading this what @Rob.Lockwood does isn't necessarily common practice, not even when he is been doing it all his life. Smiley Tongue

Steinwerks
Mentor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw

A previous production job I had set the WCS 2" from the front of the chuck face for all five machines in the cell. This means that to touch off a new tool meant the arm didn't have to be retrieved from its box and attached to add one tool if one got destroyed by accident (broken roughing insert followed by finish tool perhaps). These were Nakamura-Tome Super NTM3's and STW-40's and that company had its first billion dollar revenue year when I started, so I find it hard to believe setting tools from chuck face is all that rare. It's foolproof if the CAM is too, and I found it very easy to work with.

That said, I am still waiting for a home position override so long tools don't self-destruct when the programmer wants a closer home position. For us we have to set Home to 11" from part face. I don't want to have to modify the post for this, it should be stupid simple to implement. Hell, put it in the tool definition to add to Home if desired.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw - eh, even then, i'd rather have a CAD document with the various chuck configurations, with a stable WCS, and vary the part position in CAD\CAM.. but sure, I rarely argue that my solutions are universally better.. they're just USUALLY better 🙂

@Steinwerks

It, of course, can work if programming from CAM. By hand you would really need to be a clever guy a lot of the times(Just as that you can't really easily check your program). General workflow in 90+% of shops is still based on how people worked 20 years ago. That's more what I meant. That even how clever your solution is, and it fits well with CAM systems I don't see many shops do it that way.

Not sure how a WCS that is flying in mid air can help in setting a new tool offset though.

@Rob.Lockwood

You're not Level 71 for nothing.

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Considering that we just made a lot of changes to how confinement works and also the parametric chuck settings, that making the home position parametric makes sense as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report