Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds & Feeds for different Materials - Tool Library

Speeds & Feeds for different Materials - Tool Library

Keep it simple as follows:

Main:

Tool_Library_002.jpg

You can simply edit a materials name list, no values, only your own expression. You can also choose one material name as currently active.

This selection stays until you choose another one. No connection to Solidworks materials or whatever, because we keep this simple.

Speed & Feed:

Tool_Library_001.jpg

In the Speed & Feed tap you can select the material name and input your desired values. Check above picture.

When I select tools then the values of the active material (see picture main) is taken. No link of the values, no "live update" because we keep it simple.

If the material is not existing in the Speed & Feed a message shows and ask what material you want to use instead.

Of course I can copy a tool and put it in a library for different materials. But if something changes I have to manage and modify many tools that are virtually the same.

22 Comments
ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi @michael_taffertshofer. I believe this is part of the long awaited new tool library. You can already see it in Fusion 360. Don't think there will come logic in the current library. 

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

We have some big plans for what we will likely be calling "Cutting Presets." This will be implemented.

Hi Cj Abraham,

5 months have passed but no "big plans" results I am aware of.Smiley Sad

I'd rather like to get my small improvement done then waitng for something big far ahead.

Constantly getting Kudos shows me my enhancement request have supporters..and subsequently I hope you pick it up soon ..Smiley Happy

regs Michael

cj.abraham
Alumni
We’ve have to divert development resources to other parts of the software since the last post here. However, multiple feeds and speeds are very much something we want to do still.

I see!

Do not worry about my comments too much. Other things are definitly mor important. Just it would be nice and I thought with my idea it should be quite easy to implement.

grk3010
Explorer

Any updates on when the new HSMworks tool library will be coming out? We've been promised it "soon" for years!

cj.abraham
Alumni

@grk3010 We're getting closer. 

cloganT6UUS
Observer

Hello,

I'm a trial user and I'm also interested in speeds and feeds. Solidworks now comes with it's own cam package that calculates speeds, feeds, and depth of cut automatically, and I think that HSM is way behind if they aren't keeping up with the free option available.

Thanks.

Steinwerks
Mentor

To be fair, I wouldn't go back to CAMWorks even if it (have to be non-vulgar here) made me lunch every day.

cloganT6UUS
Observer

Were their speeds and feeds bad?

If not, then this is at least one area where CAMworks/Solidworks CAM is better than HSMworks. 

Steinwerks
Mentor

Perhaps 'bad' would be the incorrect term, but I never used them. So in practice, they were as good as nonexistent. Also having to modify the tool database in Microsoft Access is another piece of software that simply shouldn't be required. I don't know that it is anymore, but it was a few years ago.

cloganT6UUS
Observer

I can see no reason why you are defending HSM when they have promised speeds and feeds 5 years ago and still have not delivered a technology that FREE products now have. I haven't used the CAM in Fusion360, but I heard that it also performs automatic feeds and speeds... That is a free autodesk product.

Having to adjust speeds and feeds for every operation simply shouldn't be required. A good speeds and feeds calculator is another piece of software that simply shouldn't be required.

HSM already does a calculation to perform peck depths, proving that the groundwork is there to automate speeds and feeds. 

Steinwerks
Mentor

See this is where I disagree, at least in some instance. There are too many variables that can enter into a toolpath calculation and CAMWorks only ever had a database, and did no calculation (at least as of CAMWorks 2016), simply pulled from the Access database. Maybe that's changed, but I doubt it. It probably still just pulls the tools from the database based on the material specified in the model. Of course that goes out the window when the engineer just leaves it as the default material. If I'm wrong I'd like to know, I couldn't find anything specifically like that in a quick Google search.

Fusion 360 also does not do feed/speed calculation for you. All HSM products come with a sample library. It is also not free if you're using it for commercial purposes.

Yes, I too am waiting for a better solution to the tool library and stored feeds/speeds than the current version, but I don't really want it to do all the work for me. I'm a machinist, I use my experience to tune these things how I know they will react, as well as actually really like HSMAdvisor and its recommendations and wish that Autodesk would contact Eldar for a hook or addin that would accomplish this. Or license it, or something.

So while I suppose I agree it'd be nice to have something, I also don't feel hampered by that specifically.

cloganT6UUS
Observer

Why don't you just open up your free version of solidworks cam and actually take a look? 

I am also a machinist, but I make single parts all day. Optimizing depths, widths, speeds, and feeds turns 30 minutes in HSMworks into an hour. 

Please don't reply again if you're going to keep arguing against HSM providing a similar level of service to their customers.

Steinwerks
Mentor

@cloganT6UUS

Well I don't have it installed for one, so I can't just "open it up" nor do I see a point in installing it, as it's not what we use. I'm busy enough as it is.

I asked if you had evidence, but instead of providing it, you've just called me a liar.

I have given my view of programming in CAMWorks (not the Dassault free version), even noting the last version I used and my experience - which I noted I did not like and gave reasons why. Of course you don't have to agree with me, but it'd be nice to engage in a discussion instead of resorting to insults.

Also I'm not really arguing that there shouldn't be a calculator, if you'd read what I said above. I just don't find it overly detrimental to my workflow. Obviously you do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steinwerks
Mentor

Perhaps we should see if we can get some direct feedback.

@al.whatmough or @cj.abraham is there any news or views on this topic; updates to be given perhaps?

hansdie_12
Enthusiast

I not only like to see the ability to add separate Feed and Speed for materials but also for usage (ie Roughing Rigid, Roughing Weak, Finishing Floor, Finishing Wall, etc...)

Also would like to add additional parameter such as Ap, Ae, ramp angle...

Capture.JPG

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Thats one of the differences between running a Access/SQL database and having all the settings in an XML text file. A database has the oppertunity to interfere from the outside while the program is open, this opens up many possibilities like reliable tool management, but its also much more complex and thing need to run in the background.

I completely agree with everyone that its a hell of a job to change the material of a product and then change the tool and feeds and speed for 40 operations. HSMworks has some drag and drop shortcuts, but in Fusion and Inventor its a lot of clicks.

ikcalb
Participant

@cj.abrahamany progress on this?

newsletterhell
Enthusiast

Checking in. A year since the last post. Any news?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report