Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel finishing for pocket toolpath wrapping

Parallel finishing for pocket toolpath wrapping

When you want a smooth rounded part made with a flat endmill using wrapping, you need radial moves.

2D pocket does most axial moves with leaves a pretty rough floor, but if you look a the floor with parallel moves (I used 2D contour with offset roughing passes) it much better. This would mean a really fast way to cut a nice looking pocket on a cilinder or fast cutting of a fillet on a 5 axis machine.

Please let me know if you like this idea.

Pocket1.JPGPocket2.JPGparallel.JPGparallel2.JPG

5 Comments
Steinwerks
Mentor

You can get pretty close with Both Ways:

Both Directions.JPG

ArjanDijk
Advisor

@SteinwerksWhat operation? Pocket or contour?

Steinwerks
Mentor

Just contour. I'll attach the link, it was a quickie so don't expect much 😉

There's (potentially) a lot of manual figuring too, like stepover to fit inside the pocket, and this one's really simple so the math was easy.

http://a360.co/2nswIxE

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Then we are on the same page. The only thing you did different is "keep tool down". But this is far from a user friendly solution. For a rectangular pocket it can be ok but on anything else you can best draw the toolpath yourself 😉

Steinwerks
Mentor

@ArjanDijk I agree it is far from an ideal solution. Fusion at least doesn't seem to handle the Stock Contours well (a negative Pass Extension does nothing) and you can't include the sidewalls so restricting it could be quite troublesome.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report