Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New way to make job folder default when add operations (SW)

New way to make job folder default when add operations (SW)

this is an SW thing as I do not use Inventor or Fusion.

Currently you have to either RMB on a job and find the make default or hot key combination (which I never remember).

What I am suggesting is if you click and highlight the job and then select an operation it automatically makes that job default kinda of like the way SW allows you to preselect a a plane and then select a sketch feature which in turn automatically opens a sketch on that plane.

4 Comments
Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

Yeah. This gets a vote and should get filed under the 'quality of life' improvements for SW. Both Fusion and Inventor have better systems implemented (in fusion, you simply click the activate button next to the job, an action consistent throughout the UI)

I inherently do this all the time anyway, hoping it will work. So yeah, you pretty much nailed my ideal behavior.

In Inventor they are implementing a sort of history tree bar where the new operation will be added. If they add some other meanings to that bar that would be my ideal world. Like making sure the operations after the bar (Which make them greyed out a little) don't slow the looking for changes in the model down. Now on big files changing something in the beginning of the file can cause the system to want to calculate everything.

al.whatmough
Alumni

Yes, we have done the UI work in inventor and are rolling it out.  

You would be surprised at the number of cases that we ran into with interaction where there is folders using duplication etc.

So, we have chosen to roll this out first in Inventor then push it to Fusion and SolidWorks. 

(this is work that is application specific anyway.  Not something that "comes for free in any of the 3 CAD systems)

That said, it is a key workflow we need to support for things we are working on.

So, it will come to all 3 products.

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report