Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of Detail specification option in Setup window

Level of Detail specification option in Setup window

When you setup job I would like to be able to select the Level of Detail associated with that setup.

When I have multiple setups and fixtures needed to run the job I put everything in an assembly with different a Level of Detail for each setup.  Maybe the first operation I use a vise but for the second operation I have a fixture.  Having the proper Level of Detail automatically switch for whichever setup I'm working on would be a big time saver.  Going back to the Model browser switching the Level of Detail then back to the CAM browser is a waste of time, especially when you just want to do a quick change and simulation.   

7 Comments
lenny_1962
Advisor

@Dan.Yingling

Is this for Inventor\Fusion or SW?

If using SW you can use display states under the configuration tab at the top of the feature area.

I Use this every time I progran very detailed parts, make a config for each level of detail, pop them into the assembly and make a display state hiding, showing, adding translucency, coordinates for each state.

I sometimes use more than one display state for a job for clarity.  So for me your Idea not so much but others would love it.

I say make it a modal option to turn on\off when needed.

Dan.Yingling
Enthusiast

My wording here is more for Inventor but the concept can be applied to all platforms.  

@lenny_1962 When you program in SW and create multiple display states do they change for each Setup configuration you do? In other words does what's displayed, hiding, showing, and translucent automatically switch when you switch between Setups?

This feature would be another option in the Setup dialog.  The Level of Detail will be set to default so its only does something when you create a multiple ones and associate them with a Setup.

lenny_1962
Advisor

@Dan.Yingling Yes it does because all the parts are active in the assembly, nothing is suppressed, so even if I am in a different display state the jobs are tied to the components in them not everything in the assembly.

works slicker than snot!

I will show later on my way to work

Dan.Yingling
Enthusiast

@lenny_1962 I would be interested in seeing how that works in Solidworks.  Right now there is nothing in Inventor that changes any representation of the assembly when switching between Setup folders.

lenny_1962
Advisor

@Dan.Yingling

ok I had time this morning to show this. 

I made a screencast of a job I did.

hope this show you SW's way of show\hide functions.

lenny

http://autode.sk/2dLNtRR

Dan.Yingling
Enthusiast

Thanks @lenny_1962 for showing me that.  Currently I can do the same thing with Level Of Detail or View Representation in Inventor - create different views of what is seen and not seen.

What I am wanting to do is associate the different views with the different setup folders.  So when I switch between setups the view switches also.  An example would be: I only use the vise on the first setup for the second setup I use a custom fixture.  I don't want to have to select each time what to show and hide when switching between the setups.

It takes me 6 clicks and selecting from drop downs what it took you to do in 3 simple clicks. 

I could take the effort and add two part models with the two setups like it actually is in the machine.  That way everything is just visible.  But my current practice to save time is to use one part model and base both of my setups off that even if I'm machining more than one side.   

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

CAM-8659

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report