Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor HSM, Change Tool to match the new tool, in Tool Library.

Inventor HSM, Change Tool to match the new tool, in Tool Library.

It would be great if i could go into tool library and change a tool that's related to all my contours, pockets, instead i have to go into every cut and change the tool or edit the tool to match the new tool, that is related to the contours.

charlie

8 Comments
dblack
Contributor

I could almost imagine some kind of an "substitute tool" function. So what you are saying is, if your existing T3 for instance was a 3/8" endmill used in several operations, and now you want your T3 for all operations where it's used to be a 1/4" endmill, you would choose "substitute tool" (or whatever you call it) and it would substitute in a different tool, leaving other parameters untouched? Seems like a decent idea, but you'd likely still want to go tweak things like optimal loads, roughing depths, stepovers, stepdowns, etc, so you'd be going into each operation anyway.

Charlie_Wright
Collaborator

Actually the problem was going from a 1/2" 2 flute 1" FL to a 1/2" 3 flute 5/8" FL,  had to change all my tool info and doubling my feed rate, did not have to touch the cut info. prototype you use what you got, production you buy the right tools. 🙂

narzinskin
Advocate

@Charlie_Wright In this example, couldn't you have just edited the tool in the file?  this would have updated all of the operations where that tool was used.

ex.  you have the 1/2" 2 flute 1"FL as tool #2 and later decided to change that...just go into that exact tool #2 and change the parameters to 3 flute, 5/8" FL.  this would only affect the tool in this file (not the tool in the library) and update all of the instances where tool #2 was used within this file.

Charlie_Wright
Collaborator

that is what i had to do, royal pain, it would just be easier to select a different tool.

narzinskin
Advocate

I'm just struggling to see the issue...You can also swap all of the tools out in the compare and edit dialogue box.  Highlight all of the operations>right click and select compare and edit>then search for parameter tool number>right click on any tool number your need to change, then click "select tool".  from here you can select the new tool.  You can do this pretty quickly at one place without having to go into each operation individually.  likewise, you can expand all of the operations in the cam browser and right click on the tool and slect tool without having to go into the operation.  hope this helps

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

This would be a great add to the tool library.   With that said, our current focus is to get the Fusion tool library be functionally equivalent to the desktop tool library so it can be used across all of the applications.

Features like this will be top of mind once the current phase of work is complete.

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi Charlie,

Is this the same as you want?

Charlie_Wright
Collaborator

Yes i think so

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report