Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion/Inventor HSM 4axis Roughing/finishing toolpaths

Fusion/Inventor HSM 4axis Roughing/finishing toolpaths

I would really like some 4 axis toolpaths for roughing and finishing a part with just  XZA moves:

This has the following advantages

1. Gives you the ability to rough cilindrical parts without the need of a lathe
  2. Machining faster then indexed 3D roughing on cilindrical parts

It could be something like this.

I know that HSMWorks has something like this in the form of 4axis sub, but it does not support 360deg rotations and the current toolpath wrapping in Inventor HSM is only wrapped 2D.

Please let me know if you like this idea.

16 Comments
grigorov.rv
Advocate

I would very much like to see such four axial milling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmC-bVJp0nA

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Very good video!

@ArjanDijk

It's not like HSMWorks actually works like you would expect.

The 3D Operations with Axis substitution are just the same as the 2D Wrapping.

So the Idea should count for all if you ask me.

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi @Laurens-3DTechDraw, you are right, 4axis HSMWorks is far from perfect atm. It just offers options that are unavailable in Fusion/Inventor HSM. 

rgollob
Advocate

I know Inventor has "Wrap tool path" inside the 2D Adaptive, 2D Pocket and 2D Contour operations that allow you to machine around a cylindrical feature and has worked well for me on the 1 part I've needed it for so far, but its far from what I saw in the video. maybe they will develop it further in the future.

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

amxen
Explorer

really looking forward to more capability with 4th axis machining. I do hope they put more time into this progression 

TacPen
Explorer

Ok, this would be useful. Definitely.

alindemannAEEBR
Contributor

Bump, ping, reminder. I really want this 🙂

I love HSM. However because of the work we are doing at my shop we may need to look for this feature somewhere else. It would be the clear and singular reason why I move to a different software package. 😕

ArjanDijk
Advisor

I spoke about this to a few guys at Autodesk University. Its for sure in the works and the help of the Powermill team will improve this, but without a timeline. For now there are some things you can do with Flow toolpath.

rikupasanen
Contributor

I'm looking forward seeing this feature in HSM.

kecksmachine
Enthusiast

This would be very useful

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Good news for Fusion users. Rotary toolpaths are available under feature flags. It will be part of the extension in the future.

dimxsun
Enthusiast

the time has come to make Inventor HSM better! Please add 4-axis strategies!

matthiasrech
Explorer

Please do this

sabadashandrey
Community Visitor

Autodesk, pls do this for SolidWorks, this wery helpfull feature.
It will help to extend the resource of the cutting edge milling tool, and will reduce the time for milling part.
Will be great if the "adaptive" machining function can process a part 360 degrees in one setup.
The same function is need for "scallop".
HSM most user frendly CAM aplication.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report