Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom parameters for operation, NC Output

Custom parameters for operation, NC Output

There are a lot of situations where you want to add extra "custom" information to an operation to use this in the post. If an operation has such a parameter you can let the post output different code:

Custom Operation.png

Some examples to use a parameter:

• Coolant pressure to control a the speed of a spinjet
  • Amount of smoothing that the control needs to apply
  • Laser power
  • Rotation direction preference for 3+2
  • Rotation angle of a turning tool (for face turning)
  • Retract position after this specific operation
  • Anything else you want to tell and operation

ESPRIT shows the custom fields as an extra tab in the operation.

I know you can hack something to use the "notes", but you have to do all kinds of text manipulkations, its prone to error and you can see nowhere if an operation has a a note, so it stays invisable 

7 Comments
ivan.stanojevic
Advisor

Agree to that. I edited one post to change the behavior regarding the info from the notes and it worked well, but the flaw is that you cannot see if something is changed in any operation unless you do the right click and choose "edit notes". 

I think that the similar idea has been already submitted by @Laurens-3DTechDraw:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-ideas/create-your-own-manual-nc-options/idi-p/5945479

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi Ivan,

@Laurens-3DTechDraw s idea is great, I also voted for it. But the intention is different.

Laurens wants to control certain moves between two other operations, what I want is change the behaviour of the current operation.

@ArjanDijk

Not really about moves.

Mine is about actions. That could be anything.

ArjanDijk
Advisor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw, ok to be precise Smiley Wink, Laurens is about actions

ivan.stanojevic
Advisor

Smiley Happy

ArjanDijk
Advisor

@Charlie_Wright pointed out that it would be usefull to have a parameter that controls the retract for an operation. This is another purpose of a custom tab

avantmfg
Enthusiast

Coming from Mastercam recently, I did make use of misc. values and misc. integers which allowed me to do exactly what is proposed here. Users may enter values through the UI and the post is able to make use of that and execute whatever functions you have written to use it.

The implementation in Mastercam has operations look up the post being used and retrieve the description of custom parameters from that post to display it in the dialog in the UI. This is necessary because not all posts will use custom parameters in the same way if at all, and the user needs to know which parameter will change which function based on the post processor they have selected.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report