Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add axial single grooving to turning operations

Add axial single grooving to turning operations

I am now trying to do a single grove on a face of a roller as I don’t want any stepover. No matter what I try, the Turning profile groove operation wont allow me to just do a single groove it needs a stepover, so I am currently trying the single groove operation, however when I try this operation with the face grooving tool it says orientation not supported, it seems as though single groove operation in HSMWorks will only allow radial grooving and not axial

8 Comments
scottmoyse
Mentor

Support for Face Grooving in the Single Groove toolpath would be welcome for sure!

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi @Jordan.Musson, I completely agree with you. I got the same idea 6 months ago. Do you mind to join these ideas into 1?

scottmoyse
Mentor

@ArjanDijk They are certainly related very closely, just that yours includes a custom profile.

@scottmoyse @ArjanDijk

And if Arjan's idea is a sort fo trace turning it adds the different moves as well.

I mean that would require a new strategy this sounds more like add axial grooving to the single groove operation.

(Both are needed in time in my opinion.)

scottmoyse
Mentor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw I agree... this idea is more about enabling axial grooving to the single groove operation.

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi Laurens, I talked to Steffen Krause a few months ago and he suggested to call it "trace for turning". My main purpose was also face grooving. And I think you are right, this is less of a long shot. 

What I also would like is to do is an inside undercut groove. I think it could be done with "single groove" but we need some option to both control the cutting direction and the leadin/leadout direction. If thats available, everybody in this topic can make the requested toolpaths

inside groove.JPG

@ArjanDijk

That exactly is the difference.

This is just doing a groove in-groove out move that is currently supported radially and should also be available axially.

Whereas with a trace for turning/grooving you will most probably need to sketch the path of the cutter on the XZ-Plane.

Which gives much more freedom, but also more work in the most generic cases.

scottmoyse
Mentor

Oh and this one @cj.abraham

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report