Did you mean: 

Probing

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1180 Views, 11 Replies

Probing

I downloaded the 5-3 dev build that would allow 2017 HSM Pro to be installed today and did so. I don't see probing now and would like to know what happened? It was there on the 4-29 build.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jeff.walters
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to right click on the setup the select New Operation. Then  Probing will be at the bottom of the list.

probe.png

Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM
Message 3 of 12
fredsi
in reply to: jeff.walters

First time I opened up this combination, noticed the same thing....no probing in the ribbon, just the right click menu. But second time I started up the software, Probing was listed in the Job section of the ribbon just under Manual NC.

Just as an aside, after viewing Al's initial video on probing, I tried it out, but wasn't getting the same results. Took a little while to realize he was using stock created as a separate solid, as opposed to stock frame created in CAM Stock setup.

Fred

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks Jeff that did it. What threw me off was the Inventor HSM 2017
version would show probing in the job section but the Pro version did
not show it anywhere in plain sight. Really looking forward to good
support lterature that will hopefully apprise us all on these little tips.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: fredsi

"Just as an aside, after viewing Al's initial video on probing, I tried it out, but wasn't getting the same results. Took a little while to realize he was using stock created as a separate solid, as opposed to stock frame created in CAM Stock setup."

I did not see the video and that explains why I could not probe my stock block today which is after all the first use for probing in most shops along with tool measurements.

Question about the philosophy behind how things are done. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the data collected in the creation of stock for probing rather than creating a whole new part and then bringing it in? If the CAM plan can see a solid there and derive an operation off of it why not probing to? This reminds me of the chamfer tool path which is quite often worthless if you want to use an exact model with chamfers modeled in and I have gone back to 2D Contour because of this. Chamfer looks cool until you work with it a bit and then you realise you see the potential future but not todays working reality.

Message 6 of 12
makko74

would be nicely to have a uniform ribbon

ribbon in a ipt-file

Ribbon_IPT.JPG

ribbon in a iam-file

Ribbon_IAM.JPG

/Mario

InfoInventor CAM(Ultimate) user --- Inventor Professional 2021.2 + Inventor CAM Ultimate 8.1.2.21785
Message 7 of 12

@makko74 wrote:

would be nicely to have a uniform ribbon

ribbon in a ipt-file

Ribbon_IPT.JPG

ribbon in a iam-file

Ribbon_IAM.JPG

/Mario

I believe you can change this yourself.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 8 of 12

unfortunately not, I have tried it.

In the iam-file is no opportunity to add the probing to the user menu, in the ipt-file it works

the ribbon is hardcoded in the InventorHSMAddinImpl.dll

/Mario

InfoInventor CAM(Ultimate) user --- Inventor Professional 2021.2 + Inventor CAM Ultimate 8.1.2.21785
Message 9 of 12
porsbym
in reply to: makko74

We have seen some cases where the ribbon is not updated.

In that case, try reseting the ribbon

1. Right click somewhere on the CAM ribbon
  2. Click Ribbon Appearance
  3. Click Reset Ribbon

If that does not do the trick, then try deleting the ribbonstate files from %APPDATA%\Autodesk\Inventor HSM (typically C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Inventor HSM), and restart Inventor.

/Mark

Message 10 of 12
makko74
in reply to: porsbym

Mark - thanks for the hint that i can pimp my ribbons over the xml-files.

/Mario

Message 11 of 12
al.whatmough
in reply to: Anonymous

Dave,

two quick things:

1. Probing the stock that you define in the setup is at the top of the backlog for probing
  2. 2D chamfer was specifically desinged for chamfering edges that don't have chamfers modeled.  We will add support for chamfering modeled chamfers.  Without giving away that tricks used to make 2D chamfer work, I can say it is a much harder problem to solve.
---------
AL Whatmough
Director Product Management - Manufacturing

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: al.whatmough

Hi Al,

I wondered about the stock block thing since it made sense to me it should work off of data already there. It will be good to see probing worked on this year. As it is right now I just do it on the machine control since setting G54 is the very first step. I would imagine this is still the way I will work and Probing for features cut is what I really look forward to.

One of the important things your new documentation/manual guy will bring to the table I hope is information. I am a literal kind of guy so I struggled with why was Chamfering not working when the chamfers were right there on the part in front of me. Chamfers should work with a Chamfering tool path was my though and what was I doing wrong? A call to TP set me straight and since I am a firm believer in modeling parts just as they will be as a finished product I found the Chamfer tool path was not worthwhile at this time except for down and dirty quick corner treatment without leaving the CAM plan if the part needed chamfers. Documentation would have been nice to let me know this was a hint of things to come and not usable in many cases. I know things are in the works but without proper documentation I think it is better to just not put unfinished things out there until they can walk on their own or have clearly explained what the limitations and problems are..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report