Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSMWorks 2017 R2

136 REPLIES 136
Message 1 of 137
fonsecr
3279 Views, 136 Replies

HSMWorks 2017 R2

HSMWorks 2017 R2 will be made available shortly. And just wanted to let you know in advance before I make it public on hsmworks.com.

You should have started receiving mails of the release / changes. If not, expect them soon 🙂

With the HSMWorks 2017 R2 release we have merged the licensing for Inventor HSM and HSMWorks so the products are activated with the same license for "Autodesk HSM" or just "HSM".

Please dont install HSMWorks 2017 R2 until you have gotten your new license. If you do install it you will need to revert back to the previous release to get up and running again.

The change to the Autodesk HSM license will influence our release naming for HSMWorks which is going to be a bit confusing. Historically we have followed the SolidWorks major version naming so HSMWorks 2017 would match SolidWorks 2017 and so on. But with this change we plan to keep Inventor HSM and HSMWorks on the same major versions instead. So the major versions for HSMWorks are generally expected some time around April time frame in the future. This is required to avoid confusion about the Autodesk HSM versioning in your account portals. So if you have a license for say Autodesk HSM 2017 you know it will work with both Inventor HSM 2017 and HSMWorks 2017.

For HSMWorks, this means that official support for a new major SolidWorks release will just follow with the next minor R-release that happens to be after the SolidWorks release.

It would be more confusion in the licenses versions didn't match with the individual product major versions than SolidWorks / HSMWorks not matching. But initially it will naturally cause some confusion.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

136 REPLIES 136
Message 121 of 137
Lonnie.Cady
in reply to: jeff.pek

@jeff.pek it must have actually installed because there are icons for inventor.  Now when I try to open it I am prompted to activate and it says the license is number is invalid.

No need to spend any more time on it I really appreciate it, I was just going to try it out so it is not really a big deal. Was just more of a curiosity.

To be honest I think ADSK has an extremely confusion licensing system.  I have entered the same license number in SW for 10 years.  I can check it in or out to transfer it when needed.

Now I have several products in my account I am not really sure what I am entitled to or what serial number are needed to activate them.

My  maintenance expires in 5 days.  All I am interested in is the license to the perpetual seat of HSMWorks and the Fusion Ultimate that I purchased.  Am I going to be able to use the same numbers I have with HSMWorks forever after my maintenance expires.  If I decided to get a new computer will I just use the same numbers again?

Message 122 of 137
scottmoyse
in reply to: Lonnie.Cady

@Anonymous yes you will be able to. There was a time when Autodesk carried the serial number over from year to year.. it's so dumb that they decided to create a new one each year. Otherwise it's barely different to the Solidworks licensing system. You can also export and import licenses in the same way with perpetual licenses. I find it a lot easier to find and get to my Autodesk serials than the Solidworks one. MySolidworks is like a maze of webpages.... I suppose it's just a case of getting used to it.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 123 of 137
jeff.pek

Hi Lonnie -

I understand your comments re the licensing system. With subscription, this should be easier, as it (mostly) only requires you to log in.

I would be interested to know why you're having a problem with the Inventor activation. What product key are you using? Where did you find this?

What did the error message say?

The required serial numbers should show up in the account portal near the Download links. Sometimes you need to use "Generate Serial Number" to get a serial number created for a product.

For the 2018 release -- likely April -- this will hopefully get easier, as all of the Autodesk HSM components (except Fusion) will be able to be activated with a single serial number and product key.

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 124 of 137
Lonnie.Cady

@jeff.pek during install it asked for a serial number and product ID.  I entered the ones from the account management page.  The product ID was wrong.  Your provided the correct one and it appeared to have installed. I double click on the inventor icon and it ask to activate and I click activate.  The serial number and product ID are pre filed and now it says the serial number is invalid.

Like I said it was being installed from pure curiosity.  I have since completely uninstalled it so I won't be able to provide any other info.

Message 125 of 137
jeff.pek

Thanks, Lonnie.

"During install it asked for a serial number and product id" -- that's odd. Generally, except for HSMWorks, none of the products should ask for this during installation unless you're creating a deployment.

Thanks for the info you've provided. If someone else runs into this, we can chase it further.

Jeff

Message 126 of 137
Lonnie.Cady
in reply to: scottmoyse

@scottmoyse wrote:
@Anonymous yes you will be able to. There was a time when Autodesk carried the serial number over from year to year.. it's so dumb that they decided to create a new one each year. Otherwise it's barely different to the Solidworks licensing system. You can also export and import licenses in the same way with perpetual licenses. I find it a lot easier to find and get to my Autodesk serials than the Solidworks one. MySolidworks is like a maze of webpages.... I suppose it's just a case of getting used to it.

Good to know. I just want to know the HSMworks ones I have for 2017 won't be changing.  I just need to figure out how to check them in if I change computers.  I have never been able to get the export or check in thing for Inventor to work when I tried it a couple of years ago. As for SW I never go to mysolidworks.  I just go the main site and log in and go to my products.

But since the number never changes I have it on my computer on a word.doc.

I am sure it is just what people get used to as you said. 

Message 127 of 137
Lonnie.Cady

@jeff.pek it did right at the beginning of the install.  After I entered it the I believe the screen came up that allows you to select what you want to install.

such as content libraries and things like that.

Message 128 of 137
jeff.pek

Hmm, OK. Almost sounds like an older version (pre-2017), which used to behave that way.

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 129 of 137
Lonnie.Cady

@jeff.pek could have been, I just followed the link from my account management page.

Message 130 of 137

Just wanted to inform everyone my Perpetual Network License is now full working.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 131 of 137
CoreyBerger
in reply to: fonsecr

I downloaded and installed hsmworks premium 2017 again this morning. We got a permanent license .still a "No-Go" for me but at least ,this time, I was given the option to use the trial version until things are sorted out as far as license goes . I'm still a little confused .. still says hsmworks premium 2017. Is it changing to "HSM ultimate "? Will it include fusion 360 also ?
Message 132 of 137
jeff.pek
in reply to: CoreyBerger

Hi Corey -

What sort of error are you seeing? Can you post some screenshots of what you see where you download HSMWorks, and the error you get?

Whether or not you see HSM Ultimate (on the web sites) depends on whether you are a subscription or maintenance customer. For maintenance renewals, we are maintaining the "HSMWorks" product names, and so you won't see "HSM".

Jeff

Message 133 of 137
scottmoyse
in reply to: CoreyBerger

You probably won't see HSM Premium / Ultimate branding until the 2018 release in April. And yes Fusion will be included

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 134 of 137
CoreyBerger

I won't be able to access my computer until Monday but we do have a maintenance subscription.  Autodesk sent me a new license code and it didn't work . I tried the installation this morning because it was a different code shown than the previous.  I'm not sure if this is because I bought a transferable seat or not ,but I'll be more than happy to let someone drive my computer Monday  "or when a solution comes up" . Thank you for the help

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
Message 135 of 137
joshogle
in reply to: scottmoyse

Scott, does this mean we won't be issued Inventor HSM serial number and product keys until then? I've had support people in two different cases tell me they have no idea about the new bundle and were unable to get that.

Thanks,

Josh

Message 136 of 137
scottmoyse
in reply to: joshogle

Joshogle

Contact your reseller and get them to open a business case to get it sorted.

And to the other chap. No you should get all your serials for HSMWorks & Inventor HSM 2017 and access to Fusion prior to then. We may never see Autodesk HSM Premium / Ultimate branding on the individual products, I'm just assuming there might be a change there in April.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 137 of 137

@scottmoyse wrote:
Joshogle

Contact your reseller and get them to open a business case to get it sorted.

And to the other chap. No you should get all your serials for HSMWorks & Inventor HSM 2017 and access to Fusion prior to then. We may never see Autodesk HSM Premium / Ultimate branding on the individual products, I'm just assuming there might be a change there in April.

As far as I know the naming won't change. 

For new licenses and subscription you will see the Autodesk HSM product.

For perpetual licenses with maintenance subscription the naming stays like it's now but the other products will be put under that same license.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report