Did you mean: 

HSM Works 2017 - Turning Handoff Operations

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
electromechanica
1528 Views, 26 Replies

HSM Works 2017 - Turning Handoff Operations

I have been starting to mess around with some of the new functionality included in the beta release of HSMWorks 2017, sub-spindle handoff in particular.  

I am not sure if I have found an issue with these operations, or if I just don't understand yet how the developers intended this to operate.  

In the attached file, I have set the Feed plane for the secondary spindle grab at .100" from the face of the part.  

However, when I post out using the dump.cps, cycle.feedPosition is showing a value of .5375"

I would expect this postion to be 1.60", based on my WCS.  I have not yet been able to figure out where this .5375 value is coming from.  

@fonsecr , any suggestions, or have I found a bug?

Steve

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
fonsecr
in reply to: electromechanica

Thanks Steve,

@mircea.rohat can you have a look at this one?

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 3 of 27

Hi @electromechanica

I'm investigating right now and I'll post an update soon.

Thanks,

Mircea

Mircea Rohat

CAM Software Developer

Message 4 of 27

Thanks @mircea.rohat

I look forward to seeing what you figure out. 

Steve

Message 5 of 27
fonsecr

Please try latest HSMWorks 2017 R1 devel release. Fix for ticket CAM-5793.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 6 of 27
ivan.stanojevic
in reply to: fonsecr

Can somebody explain me why I'm getting this error when I try to postprocess a job which includes handoff operations?

Error: Error: Final tool axis is unknown for section at Section.getFinalToolAxis().
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stack dump:
("Final tool axis is unknown for section at Section.getFinalToolAxis().")@:0

Ivan Stanojevic

Message 7 of 27

@ivan.stanojevic wrote:

Can somebody explain me why I'm getting this error when I try to postprocess a job which includes handoff operations?

Error: Error: Final tool axis is unknown for section at Section.getFinalToolAxis().
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stack dump:
("Final tool axis is unknown for section at Section.getFinalToolAxis().")@:0

Because there is no toolaxis for these operations.

So you will have to update the post, to not check for that when the current section is a stock transfer/pull operation.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 8 of 27

Yes, I added this error when there is no known position for a section which is the cause when using the stock transfer strategy. However, @bob.schultz from post team pointed out to me that it would cause failures for the next section also without edits to the post configs which we dont want users to have to do at the moment. So I have changed the post processor to just output warning for now. We definitely want all users to switch to the much better Chuck and Return cycles for stock transfer. Requires some post customization but will pay off fast. So for now you wont need to make changes. We'll just recommend it.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 9 of 27

@fonsecr wrote:

Yes, I added this error when there is no known position for a section which is the cause when using the stock transfer strategy. However, @bob.schultz from post team pointed out to me that it would cause failures for the next section also without edits to the post configs which we dont want users to have to do at the moment. So I have changed the post processor to just output warning for now. We definitely want all users to switch to the much better Chuck and Return cycles for stock transfer. Requires some post customization but will pay off fast. So for now you wont need to make changes. We'll just recommend it.

Is that update to be found soon in all software's in that case? I mean to have people not have to edit the posts the latest releases should have the warning version.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 10 of 27

Yes, it will be updated in all the products as soon as possible.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 11 of 27
ivan.stanojevic

Okay, the thing is that our customer has recently bought a couple of Haas DS machines and they require a working post from us. So I need to provide them the post as soon as possible. I tried messing with secondary spindle chuck and secondary spindle return strategies but I kept getting this Final Tool Axis error.
Should I do what Laurens told me to do or should I wait for this update that you are talking about?
Thanks

Ivan Stanojevic

Message 12 of 27
fonsecr
in reply to: ivan.stanojevic

Just use HSMWorks 2016 and all will work. The above is only for HSMWorks 2017 and forward.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 13 of 27
ivan.stanojevic

I changed to HSMWorks 2016 R4.1234 and got the same error..

Ivan Stanojevic

Message 14 of 27
fonsecr
in reply to: ivan.stanojevic

Use the latest official release: HSMWorks2016-R4.41148 / September 1, 2016

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 15 of 27
ivan.stanojevic

Thank you.

Ivan Stanojevic

Message 16 of 27

Hi @electromechanica,

The problem was the stock height was calculated relative to the rotary axis as in a typical Turning Op, where it should've been calculated as the extent along the axis. As René mentioned, the fix is in the latest dev build.

Thanks,

Mircea

Mircea Rohat

CAM Software Developer

Message 17 of 27
electromechanica

hi Rene, 

I was having the same problem previously as Ivan: my programs were failing to post when I was using a turning stock transfer operation with a newer version of HSMWorks.  

I use the stock transfer function for controlling my bar puller in my Haas lathe.  

I upgraded to the latest development release this morning, and my code did post.  However, it skipped over some functions that are still working fine in the last production release: 2016 R4.41148

I attached two posted files, both from the same model/toolpath & using the same postprocessor.  
The one from 4.41148 is what I expect to see.  the copy from 2017-R1.41441 does not include my line number call, as well as my prepositioning moves.  

I also attached a copy of the post & the model files.  

Any suggestions @fonsecr  

Steve

Message 18 of 27

Would only let me add 3 attachments.  

Model files attached to this posting.  

Message 19 of 27
fonsecr

@AchimN can you get team to review the above?

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 20 of 27
AchimN

@electromechanica, the reason is that all the code for stock transfer is placed in onSection(). Originally we skipped the main part of onSection() if it is a stock transfer operation. With the new release, we even do not call onSection anymore, but onSectionSpecialCycle().

The best way to fix this issue is to place all the needed code in onCycle() instead of onSection().

With this the output will be correct for the new AND the old version.

Sample posts will follow soon, also with code for the new stock transfer cycles.

Achim.N
Principal Technology Consultant

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report