Did you mean: 

Development Build Download location?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
scottmoyse
1623 Views, 30 Replies

Development Build Download location?

Hey guys, 

How do we get to the development builds for HSMWorks and Inventor HSM now?

http://cam.autodesk.com/download/HSMWorks is still live if I type in that URL, but I don't see a way to navigate there anymore.

http://cam.autodesk.com/download/Inventor-HSM-PRO is broken. and so is http://cam.autodesk.com/download/inventor-hsm/ 

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
al.whatmough
in reply to: scottmoyse

I finished a quick prototype of how this would look if we used the forums:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsmworks-development-builds/bd-p/348

A few things to keep in mind:

• Only we can post new threads on this board.  So, the only threads will be for builds.  All users can then add comments to the thread.
  • The board will default to "List topic by post date" So, regardless of commenting, the threads will stay in chronological order
  • we would have a separate board for Inventor HSM Dev Builds

The advantages are:

• This keeps the conversation where our power users already are
  • It's available to our full community.
  • It's simple and fast for us to provide new builds to you.

Please check it out, and let us know your thoughts and/or concerns.

---------
AL Whatmough
Director Product Management - Manufacturing

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 22 of 31

@al.whatmough @jeff.pek

I really love this Idea.

It provides one go to place for the HSM user. (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm/ct-p/213 that link will provide all you need)

Easy to keep engaged with everything and join the development. It open and engaging, so to speak.

Also it's really nice that users can respond. Now I find myself downloading, finding an issue. Making a thread. See people make a thread about the same issue in the same release somewhere else.

"Now you respond I found this installation problem, anyone else have this?" "If found if you do this it works"

"Warning massive issue with .........,  could cause a crash"

This makes the development release more valuable because you could easily see if issue's were found in it.

And last but not least it's easy to go between different releases. Sometimes needed if an issue arises or if you want to compare things between releases.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 23 of 31
scottmoyse
in reply to: al.whatmough

I can see people's issues getting lost in the thread. Is there a way to tag a post in a thread as a bug or issue that needs a response from the support / Dev team? Then It would be neat to tag that post with the CAM issue ticket number once it's been logged, or non-reproducible or seat<>keyboard interface error.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 24 of 31
scottmoyse

Al, you've listed what the advantages are for using this method. Which we know Laurens is all for :-). But I'm curious if you see any disadvantages to it compared to using the Autodesk beta portal all the other Autodesk products use?

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 25 of 31

@scottmoyse wrote:

Al, you've listed what the advantages are for using this method. Which we know Laurens is all for :-). But I'm curious if you see any disadvantages to it compared to using the Autodesk beta portal all the other Autodesk products use?

Understand the question, but he probably can't answer that here.Smiley Tongue

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 26 of 31

Why not? It's a pros and cons discussion about this system here in the public forum surely? There are some issues that would be nice to surmount. I've raised a couple in my reply further up this thread.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 27 of 31

@scottmoyse wrote:

Why not? It's a pros and cons discussion about this system here in the public forum surely? There are some issues that would be nice to surmount. I've raised a couple in my reply further up this thread.

We can, of course, discuss the con's.

But personally, I don't see many.

I mean getting lost in a thread is always possible.

Also here on the normal forum, so while it might be possible I think we can easily split those replies that shouldn't be there out to their own topic. That way it's not lost for the poster, he actually get's a topic in the correct place where everybody is able to help him, and we keep the threads clean.

Having another bug submission list would make things more confusing for me. It's already harder than it was before we moved to the Autodesk system.
So while I would love to see exactly what's going on with my ticket I'm pretty sure the development team hates people refreshing their website to wait till their bug status changes. It also creates false hope for a lot of users I'm sure. It's always something that needs effort from the development side, and it's that effort I personally rather see spent on actually solving stuff.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 28 of 31

Laurens, you're completely missing my point. Bugs that are reported against a dev build need to be investigated and logged.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 29 of 31

@scottmoyse wrote:
Laurens, you're completely missing my point. Bugs that are reported against a dev build need to be investigated and logged.

So why wouldn't they be?

You can still send in feedback like you do now on a dev build.

But now you can also respond to a specific build on it's download location? Why wouldn't that be seen by the development and be logged?

Usually when I post a problem with a development release on the forum, someone from the team responds the same day.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 30 of 31

@al.whatmough what's the intention of allowing people to comment on these dev build download threads? I personally think that's going to cause an issue with people posting their issues on those thread instead of in their own threads which can be managed and tracked correctly via auto escalation to the support team if needed.

My previous comments & thoughts I've offered here have been because I thought this was about more than just where to host the dev build downloads. But also about where to provide feedback & bug reports about them. Participating in new feature / beta discussions and surveys etc. It seems, based on conversations with Laurens outside of this thread, that isn't the case at all and I've misunderstood the intention.

So my opinion is this, hosting just the dev build download links in the way proposed is perfectly ok. But I think those threads should be Read-Only, and only Autodesk staff can comment on them... so sharing a notice with other users, that there is a significant issue with that build.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 31 of 31
fredsi

Al,

Just an added twist...

Some users (very few?) are in the Inventor Beta program. Most of the time it is not an issue as we're testing new features/improvements in isolation. But in late stage beta, we need to use the software for actual work (this is a request from Inventor team). If that beta won't work with Inventor HSM addin then we're outta' luck unless previous versions of Inventor can read newer version designs or have to export to neutral format and loose all design info.

In addition, there is the problem of 'Who do you call?' when a problem comes up - Inventor devs or HSM devs ?? 

I assume that addressing this issue (if warranted) would best happen in the Autodesk beta area, hence my adding to the mix. Thanks.

Fred

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report