Community
Game Making Forum
Your discussion topics are welcome!
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Can't decide whether to use 3ds Max or Maya!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gedamial
1760 Views, 3 Replies

Can't decide whether to use 3ds Max or Maya!

Hi, i'm in crisis.

I have had the opportunity to try both 3ds Max and Maya.

What can I say? 

I'm making my own game and I have to decide between 3ds Max and Maya.

I can't keep deciding and being confused forever.

I must take a decision!

3DS MAX PROS:

• I like it's User Interface more than Maya
  • It has some tools and modifiers which are very comfortable and make the job easier (like Symmetry modifier)

3DS MAX CONS:

• I find UV Mapping more difficult to achieve(it also requires a separate Modifier!)
  • It isn't cross-platform (it's Windows only software)
  • It leaks in completeness. It hasn't things that Maya has and could be required by a game dev (above all animation tools)
  • Will 3ds Max die next?

MAYA PROS:

• It is cross-platform (available for every OS)
  • I find UV Mapping easier
  • It's complete: nHair, Soft Body Dynamics, Fur, Fuid Motion, muscle dynamics... and in 2017 it will probably have more high-poly sculpting tools
  • Better and more powerful tools for animations and rigging

MAYA CONS:

• It leaks of modeling tools, where 3ds Max absolutely excels
  • It's not 3ds Max

Also, I heard Maya is preferred over Max by many game dev companies. But I wonder: as long as I can get the job done, why do you care about the software I use?

At the beginning I started with 3ds Max, and that was my first love.

I moved to Maya a little bit to adapt in both environments, but when I'm on Maya I always think at Max Heart

I ask for help and suggestions!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
paulkind
in reply to: gedamial

They are both good choices.  I preffer maya, but, they both can get the same results.  If you like a smoother easier workflow, maya has a slightly less intimidating workflow.  Max has the stack and offers power-users some robust choices in how to manage their models that maya (nor any other program) has the equivalent of.  Maya is more of a modern architecture so there is that as well, but max has a long history.  The pros and cos are basically all about equal at the end of the day, and you really cant choose a bad package.  Both are heavily supported, both are heavily used industry standard workhorses.  You simply cant make a bad choice.  

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 3 of 4
wispoxy

I agree both are good. I'd prefer 3DS Max because I'm more familiar with the program than Maya. Currently using Maya though because 3DS Max isn't available for Apple Macbooks.
Message 4 of 4
3dsmaxtrainer

"Also, I heard Maya is preferred over Max by many game dev companies. But I wonder: as long as I can get the job done, why do you care about the software I use?"

This is a myth. It doesn't mean the opposite is true either, though But if you look at publicly available information, like social media fan base (face book group memberships) and ask around, you will find that Max has a very strong preference in the games industry. Its been more prevalent in the games industry than anyplace else. You may also hear things like "its even X% of Maya is games and X% Max in games (insert same number in both spots)...but its important to realize that Max has a much larger user base if you include is users in other industries like AEC and film,VFX. So given the same %number, its actually a larger real number because there are more Max users.    

Both are excellent choices. But If you want more career options besides/beyond games 3ds Max may be a wiser choice. 

Hope this helps. and good luck.

Chris Murray, MFA
Senior 3d Artist | Digital Production | Tech Evangelist | Educator

Twitter: @chrismmurray
Web: http://www.3dsmaxtrainer.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report