Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winding off (flattening) of curvature sheeting for milling and laser cutting

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
wolfgang-eisenberg
199 Views, 11 Replies

Winding off (flattening) of curvature sheeting for milling and laser cutting

The design of the fuselage sheeting of a model airplane, using 3mm plywood, must follow a curvature in Y-direction along the former, which are morticed with the sheeting. Having done so, it seems not to be possible to arrange the sheeting for milling or laser cutting by using the Arrange tool, neither flattening the sheeting for the manufacturing process in the Design mood by applying Sheet Metal or Surface tools. It appears that a curvature face can’t be selected applying the appropriate features. I also tried the plug in “DXF for Leaser Cutting” but in vain; likewise with this tool marking of curvature faces did not work. Even though the curvature in this case is not very pronounced and a workaround could be found, maybe be sacrificing accuracy, I’ll run into the same problem with the wing sheeting following the curvature of an airfoil, as well as for the next project with a fuselage curvature profile in X, Y, Z.

However, I assume that the required function/application can be found in Fusion, but I need a hint where it is hidden and how to use it.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

The flatten of surfaces with compound angles is not supported in Fusion 360.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 12

Hi JHackney1972,
are there any plans to implement that feature? It is quite essential for design and manufacture and as I believe not limited to model plans.
Message 4 of 12

@wolfgang-eisenberg 

You can do this with Autodesk MeshMixer or with Autodesk Inventor Professional using the Unrwap feature.

Attach an example file here for illustration of the process.

Message 5 of 12

@Anonymous CADWisperer,
The example file was not attached to your mail
Message 6 of 12

Hi,

it was about you share a file for investigation.

günther

Message 7 of 12

Sorry, I missed the point.
I attach e test file I used to tackle the issue.

Message 8 of 12

There was no file attached to your post!

Peter Doering
Message 9 of 12

1. I’ve sent the file three times! Have you still not received it?
  2. In a previous post you’ve mentioned using MixMesh. Is an example/tutorial available how to use it in such case?
Message 10 of 12

Hi,

@wolfgang-eisenberg wrote:
  2. In a previous post you’ve mentioned using MixMesh. Is an example/tutorial available how to use it in such case?

1. did you attach it this way?

attach file.png

2. follow the link by click  "Meshmixer" in #4

günthe

Message 11 of 12

After creating your posts, you should check if the file actually is attached to your post 😉 

You'll have to use the web interface, not an e email reply, to attach files. I am not sure that is the problem in this case, but it has been for other users.  

Peter Doering
Message 12 of 12

You cannot send files to this forum by email reply.

You must REPLY using the web forum interface to Attach files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report