Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Snapdragon X Elite and other ARM-based CPUs on Windows be supported?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
AlanMueller
84 Views, 1 Reply

Will Snapdragon X Elite and other ARM-based CPUs on Windows be supported?

I am running an aging Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptop with a 7th Gen Core i5 processor (7300HQ) and a GeForce GTX1050 GPU, and operations are getting to be a bit slow, especially simulation. I'm considering upgrading but it looks like the new X-elite processor should be similar to Apple Silicon's M3 lineup, which would be leaps and bounds ahead of what I have now and probably ahead of the current PCs available now as well. The question is support; will Fusion support ARM on Windows? What is the Fusion on Apple Silicon experience like? I'll probably wait to upgrade until next year anyways, but if there's no plan for Windows ARM support, I may as well upgrade to something, anything, better than what I have now.

I pretty much have to stick with a laptop; I program at my machines and am constantly moving between mill and lathe, and often program or design parts and make drawings at night in my house. Good laptop suggestions are welcome as well!

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
lance.carocci
in reply to: AlanMueller

We do not currently have formal support for Fusion 360 on Windows on ARM, but I have ran it using Windows 11's emulator with some success - you could use it to tinker with basic modeling, but I would not use it for mission-critical work, large assemblies, or heavy calculation just yet.

Porting our Mac client from Intel to Apple silicon yielded some solid performance and battery life improvements, though the process is still underway (while Fusion itself is native, some subcomponents we depend on are still being migrated and need Rosetta 2 at the moment).

When it comes to Fusion 360 on Windows on ARM, it's not a no or never, but Microsoft is still actively invested in x64, and that is still by far the largest segment of Windows users and where we currently direct our focus; contrast this to Apple who has completely ceased producing Intel-based devices - porting to ARM in this case is essential to continuing to exist on macOS.

Lance Carocci
Fusion QA for UI Framework/Cloud Workflows, and fervent cat enthusiast

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report