Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Can't I Dimension This Edge?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
glencandle
310 Views, 12 Replies

Why Can't I Dimension This Edge?

I'm trying to dimension this edge to the dimension of another projected edge, but for some reason I'm getting an error.  This happens all the time and I usually work around but I figured I would post it to see if it's just a general program glitch or if it has to do with my workflow.

glencandle_0-1704834703822.pngglencandle_1-1704834719981.png

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
davebYYPCU
in reply to: glencandle

I don’t have access to your file.

Two sketches? (small one is faded.)
Source dimension looks to be driven, and can not be referenced unless it is referenced and in the same sketch.

You have shown d214 and d222, one would expect you using d222 in your second sketch if it is driving.

Might help…..

Message 3 of 13
glencandle
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Source dimension is driven, but it is projected geometry that is in the same sketch as the line I am trying to dimension.  This should technically work, no?  I do it all the time, usually successfully, but in this instance it isn't working.

Why don't you have access to the file?  Is there another way I should post it?

Message 4 of 13
davebYYPCU

My end, no access to Fusion itself till late January.

Driven dimensions can only be referenced in the same sketch.  Projected geometry is dimensioned / constrained, at it’s own source and you are trying hard to make circular references - Fusion will do it’s best to prevent those.

Might help…..

Message 5 of 13
glencandle

Maybe I confused it, let me try again:

The line from another sketch is projected into this sketch.  But then the line is dimensioned (driven) in this sketch.  Then I set the dimension of a line within this sketch to reference the size of the driven dimension.  

To me this seems like core functionality as far as designing parts goes.  Is this not the best way to link dimensions from one sketch to another?

Message 6 of 13
Warmingup1953

Can you share your Fusion 360 File?

Message 7 of 13
davebYYPCU

You know about the Equals constraint?

Message 8 of 13
glencandle
in reply to: Warmingup1953

@Warmingup1953 wrote:

Can you share your Fusion 360 File?

It's in the post:

glencandle_0-1704843982171.png

Message 9 of 13
glencandle

@davebYYPCU wrote:

You know about the Equals constraint?

I do.  It was one of the first things I tried, but I got an over constrained warning when I tried to use it.

Message 10 of 13
Warmingup1953

I think I might be looking at an evolved design in the uploaded file. Are D214 and D215 from a previous iteration?Screenshot 2024-01-10 113500.png

Message 11 of 13
glencandle
in reply to: Warmingup1953

This was boiled down from a larger project so anything is possible. 

However, I did redo all the dimensions in this project, just to make sure it wasn't a cache issue. 

To test, try to re-dimension the projected line, and then dimension an unconstrained line with a reference to that dimension.  

Message 12 of 13
jhackney1972

I repeated your process three times and it works every time for me as you can see in the video.  Go figure.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 13 of 13
glencandle
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you for sharing that John.  I was starting to question my reality, but now I realize this is just a simple program glitch.  

Strangely this happens to me all the time.  Basically since I've been using Fusion, which goes back a few years, and there have been a lot of updates.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that eventually this glitch gets fixed.

Thanks for your time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report