Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

watch pin: geometry over constrained with by joints? and joints moving together

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rprovideo
110 Views, 3 Replies

watch pin: geometry over constrained with by joints? and joints moving together

Hi
I have drawn a simple watch pin. They make these in several sizes, and only the middle part changes. So I added all the dimensions for the moving outer parts (that do not change), and then added a parameter for the total width. This way, I was hoping that after I insert this in my drawing, I can just change the parameter to find the length I like. 

After making the sketch with the parameter, I did the Revolves to create the middle part and the two moving end pins, and then created two Joints so I can move the pins in and out.

I have two questions and a problem 🙂

-is there a way to have the two joints move together (but in reverse?)

-is there a way to change the parameter in my main drawing, after I inserted this part?

-and my problem: After I create the joints, the parameters do not work anymore. If I open the sketch, it says its over constrained. Somehow the joints fix the lenght of the middle part, which is not what I want. Is there a way to not have this constraint? Doesnt make sense to me. 

I have attached the part. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rprovideo
in reply to: rprovideo

I tried undoing back way to the sketch creating, and there were now constraints. But if I delete the joints, or roll the history marker back, I still cannot change the parameter. 

Message 3 of 4
jhackney1972

I believe you "over use" of the Symmetrical sketch constrain is your problem.  I fixed and added the issues you desire.  You would use a Motion Link to get the ends to move together but opposite directions.  Let me know if you need further help.  Model is attached.

End Movement.gif

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 4 of 4
rprovideo

I have accepted the solution (thanks for the tip with motion link, i will check it out).But I am a bit confused how I overused symmetrical links. I draw one quarter of the item, and mirrored it to have a symmetrical item. I am not sure why is that 'overuse', it sounds like the exact reason to use it... especially as the error message I got was really not helping. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums