Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tangent plane origin

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
wmhazzard
258 Views, 5 Replies

Tangent plane origin

I was creating a model with a tangent plane in it and I found that the origin of the plane was .0701 off from the global origin and I was snapping lines to that origin. Luckily I caught the problem before I got too far along. 

It turns out that the origin of a tangent plane is located wherever you click your mouse on the body and has nothing to do with the model. 

How much longer are we going to have to put up with this stupidity in the sketch environment before it is fixed?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
g-andresen
in reply to: wmhazzard

Hi,

try tangent plane at point

günther

Message 3 of 6
TrippyLighting

Where would you expect the origin to be? Honest question!

In most cases, the origin of a construction plane is he center of what was selected as the referencing geometry.

If you select an edge for example for a plane-at-angle, the center of the plane will be in the center of that edge.

If the design changes and the length of that edge changes, the origin of that construction plane, however, remains at the original location and is. Now of-center in relation to the center of that edge.

Peter Doering
Message 4 of 6
wmhazzard
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I understand that a construction plane would center on the body, that makes sense but creating an origin wherever you happen to click doesn't make any sense to me. 

I guess in my mind the origin would be in line with the global origin or centered on a face which is how I thought it was. I don't remember ever seeing a random origin. 

Message 5 of 6
TrippyLighting

@wmhazzard wrote:

.. but creating an origin wherever you happen to click doesn't make any sense to me. 

Agreed! That seems a bit random!

Peter Doering
Message 6 of 6

I'm in full agreement - I've similarly tried to create a tangent plane and found the origin has no reference (mouse click?) better to use offset plane!?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report